Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bad food weekend

Friday night:
Mike got back from his business trip about 9pm and we planned a trip to Paso Robles

Saturday:
Met at his place at 9am
Stopped at McDonalds for breakfast- the food was fine there
At breakfast we reserved the rental car and hotel
Went to airport for rental car - Mike let me choose the car
I had a choice between the HHR, Jetta, Grand Marquis, Impala, and Malibu
I chose the Jetta - bad choice - loud engine, lots of wind noise in the cabin, lots of cracks/crevices letting noise in
All we noticed were the loud wind noises and considered turning the car in at Burbank for something else
Drove to Solvang where we went to the Solvang Brewing Company
Bartender was waaaaaaaay over her head- we sat at the bar - menus and drinks were a long time coming- the beer wasn't bad - had a reuben sandwich, but my food came out about 10 minutes after Mike's. His was only ok. The bartender refused to let anyone help her and freaked out over the smallest thing and never got Mike a shot of the Absolut sweet tea he wanted to try.
Drove up the coast talking a lot about California history - Mike is convinced the Cali Missions don't constitute history - that is Spanish history. I explained the significance
Get to hotel in Paso Robles - the Courtyard Marriott - $179 a night, but he had points
Joke at the drunk wine tasters we see
Talk about our dads who never really went on family vacations - lots of good discussion
Hotel is nice, but not $179 nice
Relax in hotel and tickle me for a few minutes
Go to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle night tour
Have extra time, so we go see the seals along the coast, talk about where we have/haven't been in Cali
We sit at the back of the bus on our way up to the castle where we have the entire back row to ourselves
Night tour was awesome since there were live performers reenacting how life would have been back in the 1930s if you visited the castle - - made the experience much more real
Got out of the tour about 9pm and were hungry - few food options
Find a supermarket and we get pita bread, carrots, hummus, bruschetta, and cupcakes
Try a Firestone Winery white wine
Go back to the hotel where we wine, dine, and eat
Argue over room temperature - I like it hot and he likes it cold
Mike starts to feel icky
We fall asleep about 12am watching Old Christine
We wake up in the middle of the night and he runs to the bathroom
I ask how he feels and not great and he tells me how I am burning up, yet I was comfortable... I let him put on the air
Slept until 9am Sunday




Sunday
Up at 9 - cuddle and hold each other in bed
Shower and clean up
Go searching for breakfast at a cafe or bagel place
I choose the bagel place - Mike is disappointed by the microwaved egg - I had a so-so pb&j bagel
Head down Highway 1, PCH
Mike gave me the choice to go the scenic route or The Madonna Inn
Enjoyed driving through little towns, talking about solar, talking about family
Highway 1 ended and we ended back up on the 101 in SLO and at the Madonna Inn
He was surprised by the Madonna Inn's tackiness and was convinced it explains everything about my family since I told him about my trips up there as a kid. We explored the bathroom, walked through the shops, then headed out... I had to hit him a few times just because
Made more fun of me for liking that place... lol...
Stopped at Split Pea Andersons to try their split pea soup - he liked it - vegetarian options, not super touristy, but huge menu - we ate, then walked around the restaurant museum
I joked we were so close that we had to drive by Neverland Ranch
Rehearsed my best Michael Jackson freak out for when I saw the ranch
It was a ranch... very nondescript
Decided to go to the Firestone Winery, which Mike had been to and was a fan of so we could do some wine tasting... we realized we had a Firestone wine from the supermarket Saturday night... Mike was disappointed they didn't have his favorite wine... I like the white wines better than reds I am finding more and more
Talked about his parents visiting in September and where he wants to take them
Down PCH again through Malibu and Santa Monica - I'd never been that way - I can only imagine that it is bumper to bumper on a weekend in summer... it was pretty busy... some pretty and some not so pretty views...
Go to Mike's favorite restaurant in Santa Monica - it was AWFUL
Lime flavored margarita that tasted like straight lime juice, ceviche flavored with lime, plaintains that should have been fried or something... needed some sauce... highly disappointed... food left us both feeling sick... very overpriced... you don't pay $$$$ for Mexican food...
Talk about bad food, bad service, his previous experiences here, what to do in Santa Monica - I didn't recognize the place like the mall there
Back to car for Pepto Bismol
Drive home talking about VW leases, bad quality, what my mom used to do since we passed her former place of employment, good restaurants along the way home
Drop car off at airport and get his car back - We wish we had chosen the Malibu or Grand Marquis for the weekend - both would have gotten better gas mileage and been more ideal for a roadtrip
Back to his place where we watch American Idol... we actually liked Naima for a change... I thought Scotty, Naima, and Lauren were the best... Mike didn't dig Scotty
Enjoyed a macaroon from Anderson's
Bed about 12am - still feeling icky



* Madonna Inn Bathroom above --- rest of the photos are of Hearst Castle

Monday
Woke up about 4:30 to wind noises
Mike woke up some time later saying something so unintelligible - he was speaking English, but it made no sense - weird
Back to bed until 7ish
He put his arms around me and jacked me off
Got caught up on morning talk shows
Mike made me a sunny side up egg and bread - he just had bread
Went to WalMart and Big Lots
Back at his place we finished up cruise details, he booked and changed his reservations for his business trips this week
I called about my passport
I pulled my computer out to work on an email for my prof - ended up working on some of my masters thesis
Mike encouraged me and said he wants me to have everything done this week to ensure I finish in 2 weeks
Watched Ellen, Real Housewives of OC, The Talk
Mike made a CPK pizza for us
Left at 4:30 for school
School went pretty well- I got to conference with the prof and Thursday is my goal to have everything turned into prof
Came home to get my mail- socks I ordered on amazon, Passport, passport documentation, dorm pants, beige belt

Tuesday
Bought that Scotty McCreery Country Comfort song on iTunes

Allergy shots this evening... I am an allergic mess... and have been all weekend

3 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: I like these bullet point posts, you cover so much territory.

One thing I don't understand is why you rent a car for these road trips when the both of you have own vehicles. It didn't dawn on me before until this time where you explicitly mention dropping off the rental car to pickup your own car.

fan of casey said...

Mike: I like these bullet point posts, you cover so much territory.

One thing I don't understand is why you rent a car for these road trips when the both of you have own vehicles. It didn't dawn on me before until this time where you explicitly mention dropping off the rental car to pickup your own car.

Anonymous said...

You don't think Solvang's a bit tacky too? :) A lezzie couple I know swear by the Madonna Inn and go there every year for their anniversary.
And nothing like morning sex, eh? ;)