Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Happenings

Student Teaching
It is going well, and I'm not having any problems regardless of what my Thursday night professor thinks. I am really going to miss about 2 dozen of the kids that go out of their way to talk to me, really take an interest in what I say. 3 or 4 were asking the other day if I was going to be teaching at the school next year because they want me for 8th grade. I think it is so cool to have made an impression like that.
Like I said before student teaching was merely a formality. I did get to see how Linda thinks and plans her lessons, which is probably the most valuable thing I got. I already had a good idea since I subbed for her.
We had parent conferences everyday last week and I got to break out my Spanish at least a dozen times. I am getting really good at talking to parents in Spanish. It was pretty awesome. The kids were all present at the conferences and a couple of the kids I think were embarrassed that I could speak Spanish and that I ratted them out for not doing their tarea o trabjao de clase (classwork/homework) or their comportamiento (behavior).
I do know where I'm going for my next assignment- my old high school- not with the teachers I want to work with, but with a teacher I know. I'm nervous, but what's new about that?

Spanish
Speaking of Spanish I keep realizing I'm forgetting words here and there in Spanish and am trying to get back in the habit of pensando en mi cabeza (thinking in my mind) what words mean and random sentences. So far I'm doing a pretty good job. I haven't watched a Sunday night movie in Spanish in forever.

Weather
I'm loving the possibility of rain and thunderstorms all week. Sweater weather! Jacket weather!

Family
Family life is going pretty well. Sister is keeping a very low profile after last week.

Cars
My sister totaled her car. Yep. The insurance company basically said normally they would not total it. Had the car been 1-2 years old they would have repaired it. They are totaling it due to age. It is a 13 year old car. The only things that need repaired are the radiator, lights, grill, and airbags. Airbags alone are $1000 or so. They're giving us quite a bit of money for a car that age. It sucks that we have to buy another car when we're doing so much work on the house. My mom gets the new car out of this and I'm kind of pissed off my sister gets to get my mom's old car. So we're car searching starting now. We hit the dealer tonight and I showed my mom 4-5 cars. It will pretty much be between those- 2-3 small SUVs and 2-3 cars.

Vacation
I'm maybe finally going to Florida to Disney World for Thanksgiving Break. I'm trying to firm up my plans, but right now everything seems bueno. Going to be going alone, but will be hanging out with a cool Floridian, so it should be cool. MUST BOOK MY TRIP IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. MUST. MUST. MUST.

Music
This is what I'm listening to...


The official video is embedding disabled. The official video was filmed on the new backlot at Universal Studios.

I remembered a song my grandma used to sing me the other day



This song is just so wrong. It's catchy, but good?

3 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: Have you considered getting a Subaru? Reliable from what I hear and I like the AWD. A Toyota Venza might be a good compromise being that it's more a wagon than full on SUV, big enough for safety but carlike drive but the cheesy grill, yikes! Stay away from the Honda Crosstour, damn that's a dumb concept and a waste of money. Happy car shopping!

Anonymous said...

Any who gave you the airfare sale tip? I think it was MEEEEEEEEE. Hope you make it.

SCalRF said...

High school huh? That'll be a change. I went to an info session for a teacher credential/masters program the other night. Pretty informative. Still seriously considering it, and I'll have to decide very soon.