Thursday, October 28, 2010

Next step in my education

I started my masters tonight. I have had a lot of anxiety about this over the past week and considered dropping out of the program. Here's why:

- The car search is an excuse
- The 2, roughly 40 page documents I'll have to submit to the state before December to finish my student teaching. Both will take about 10 hours or so to write
- The grading and lesson planning that comes with student teaching
- Wanting to spend more time hanging out with friends
- Feeling like I deserve a break from school- even a week. The school is now on a new schedule where you have an 8 week course, then the next week you start another course. I liked a week to recharge, and really needed it.
- Who wants a masters anyway?
- The classes are probably more difficult
- The time, effort, and hard work that comes with it being a masters level class. It looks like it will be reading several chapters and 2-3 large papers. SIGH.
- The professor doesn't seem to be the friendliest in the bunch

But I'll keep on, and this is why:
- Financial aid will pay for now
- I have 2 friends in the class (although I miss the usual group of hooligans I'm with, and taking this class now will put me on a different track than them. Damn my advisor.)
- I am going to hate myself if I don't
- I will regret not doing it later'
- What will I tell my parents? I'd never hear the end- it's only 4-5 classes
- I am sure I'll be able to manage it. I stress and have anxiety attacks at the beginning, but always manage.

2 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: You did the right thing. Getting your masters should improve your chances of getting a good job and at a higher pay. Sure, it's nice to want to have fun instead but it's only going to be a relatively short amount of time and will be worth the effort. Looking back I wanted to go for a masters as well but my folks needed me to work so I delayed it, thinking I would always go back but I didn't. I still got a pretty good job but I didn't need a masters to progress like you would for teaching.

Aek said...

You can do it! :-D I don't think Masters-level course are really that much more difficult. They certainly tend to be more interesting though! It's definitely worth the investment if it'll give you an edge or better job prospects.