Thursday, March 17, 2011

Not so much as a thank you?

I am annoyed at Keith. He went to Vegas this past week and asked me to dog sit a few weeks back. I told him I didn't have a problem with it.

He told me I would be dog sitting Friday-Sunday on 3/11-3/13.



I asked him what the job entailed and he said that I just needed to come by, get the mail, throw the ball to his dog a few minutes, give his dog 2 scoops of food, and make sure there was water. I did all of that.

I got a call from Keith last week as this was about to go on and he wanted me to come over about 7:15pm on Wednesday night. I am at the gym at the time when I get the text. I head over to his house. No one is there. I call him 3-4 times and leave messages, he doesn't pick up. I left at 7:30 after ringing his doorbell, texting, and calling him. At 8:15 I call him and told him I tried to come by. He calls me at 8:30 and asks me to come back over at 9:40. I told him there was not a chance as I was tired and told him flat out why I refused.

I was annoyed after this incident going into the dog sitting because he didn't have the decency to text/call me/pick up the phone. In his defense he said he was on a work call for over an hour on his cell phone.

I get a call later and he tells me where everything is in the house and what I need to know. He also told me that I was dog sitting from last Wednesday night, the night he wanted me to come over through Monday. I texted him a screen shot of his/my text and showed him that when he asked me initially he asked from 3/11 to 3/13. He never replied back.



I go Thursday afternoon to take care of the dog before going over to Mike's. I text him while I'm there. I let him know everything is alright and ask what his dog's name is because honestly I didn't know. He replied back with the name. I said that the dog didn't really seem to want to warm up to me and Keith said it was understandable given that the dog had been abused and is often mopey when he is not around.

On Friday he calls me and tells me that he is sorry he didn't invite me, but I'm always too busy for him. Um really? Ok... well... rub it in my face you're going to Vegas?

I get a text from Keith about 10pm on Sunday night saying next time I'm going to Vegas with him. I never replied back. I was annoyed.

Monday afternoon I shoot him a text telling him that the mail hadn't come, but that I had come by to give the dog food. He texted me back that he would be home in 2 hours. I got a call from him about 7:30 saying he wanted to go out together this weekend and do dinner together and do separate checks since he doesn't have a lot of money right now. In this call I didn't get a thank you, rather he just let me know that he was home and the dog was alive. And in this he seemed really adamant in pointing out the need for separate checks, which is bizarre to me since that's what we've always done when we go out together.

I ran into him last night, Wednesday night at the gym. I intentionally went earlier in the hopes of avoiding him, and plus it was still light outside, so I wanted time to get home and play. I see him as I'm walking out and he says hi. He tells me how much work he has and all that he has been doing with work. He tells me how much his dog missed him. He told me about his new office for the 100th time, but still nothing as much as a thank you. He had the intention of standing around for a while talking, but I hurried it along and said that I needed to go. I guess maybe he is just one of those self absorbed people... oh well.

I'm not going out of my way asking for a thank you, but I think it is necessary after this, and he's yet to say it. If he doesn't, it is all on him, and well, I don't have to be so nice the next time around meaning I don't have to offer to dog sit.

I also don't think I am free this weekend to hang out with Keith.

I do think that if anything I know that I won't be doing any favors for him in the future due to his indecisiveness on dates that could have/did interfere with my schedule/plans.

I'm not too butt hurt, rather just annoyed. I think the decency is what was lacking, and that is HUGE to me. And honestly I'm not as mad as I probably come off. It is just something in my mind slightly bothering me since it has been weird lately.

THURS. 10:20PM UPDATE: Keith texted me tonight and said "yay you," which was not surprising. Usually about once a week he messages me and wants to chat. I was not in that "yay me" mood. I always respond to texts, but I don't have any plans to respond to his.

3 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: You have every right to be a little angry after being jerked around and going out of your way to be a good friend. The lack of appreciation is appalling. He might be self-absorbed but that doesn't excuse him from common courtesies that enable relationships to work. Sometimes it takes situations like this to show you that you are being exploited.

Anonymous said...

In my mind, no offer for money = no dogsit. Why on earth didn't he offer to pay you? Like it would cost that much?

I also picked up on something here, your Kieth gambles. And probably loses a fair amount. So, just file that one away... lol. :)

Mike said...

@ fan of casey: Absolutely right! I think it is clear.
@ James: I like your thoughts too, or at least some sort of reciprocity.