Thursday, October 9, 2014

Bonding with my custodian

I have the 2 greatest custodians at my school - I could say they're my favorite people at the school - I'm not friends with most of the other staff.

The AM custodian is a good friend of my sister (sister, as in work sister from my old school). We go back and forth, and she thinks if I'm sissy's friend, then I'm a-ok. AM custodian goes out of her way to do things for me - she brought me a bunch of computers at the beginning of the school because 1 teacher wanted them out of her room. She even found me a teacher computer since I didn't have one.

The PM custodian always calls me "sir." Tonight he came in my room as I was packing up and told me he wasn't going to clean the spills the AM teacher had made with her coffee machine. He said he didn't like her. If it had been me, he would have. I said I would have cleaned my mess if I made it. He said again he didn't like the AM teacher. I said I didn't either. He told me he said some very hurtful things to him. My custodian looks like one of those biker bad ass guys, but thin and scrawny, and a ponytail. I didn't ask for more detail, but he then said "my brother is gay. My brother died. My brother committed suicide." I said "I understand - I'm gay." He said "I know." I was surprised. I thought this guy would be the biggest homophobe because he has that biker look. He said for someone who calls themselves a Christian, the AM teacher gives them  bad name. He said that he has no problem with religious people, but she is such a hypocrite, and she printed out articles for him about why gay people go to hell. We chatted a bit back and forth, and said goodnight. I have a new respect for this guy - he's always very friendly - but I felt like he could turn on a dime - but knowing he's cool with me being gay (not like my sexuality matters), but like he knows, and he isn't going to give me a had dime is refreshing.

1 comment:

Aek said...

People can truly surprise you! You never know where a friend may be. :-)