Thursday, October 29, 2015

When I get where I'm going

I made this comment on the Closet Professor's blog the other day, and it is something I am still thinking about

Your post struck a lot of chords with me - doing what was expected as opposed to your passion - I feel like I am there right now. I am at a mostly amazing school in a plush position that gives me great freedom to do what I want as long as it is in the best interest of the students. I am in the admin credential program because everyone told me to do it - all of my friends, parents, and teachers I know. I don't have aspirations to be an administrator, though I know I could be a good one. Maybe one day, but not now. I know, and keep having opportunities come to me to move into administration. Its not where I want to be right now. I could. It would be a great pay raise. My partner keeps hearing the money aspect, the great opportunities, and possibility to move into district office where jobs seem even more plush. I have stood my ground that I am right where I need to be now. I've taught for a little over 5 years now, and I want to be here for at least another 5. I believe that if I were to move into admin that 10 years of teaching experience wil give me more credibility as an administrator. I also am looking at positions outside of the teaching/admin realm that require the admin credential/teaching experience, but again, not right now. Your words helped validate what I am feeling now.

The thing is I have had 4 opportunities this year to advance. I turned them all down, though people kept encouraging me to apply saying I have all the skills. I sometimes worry that I am making the wrong decision and if I'm not "taking advantage" so to speak of these opportunities now, will I have the chance later? I'm sure I will. There's only going to be an administrator shortage, much like a teacher shortage, as time goes on with many baby boomers retiring. 

No comments: