Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Car Goal

We know I'm a goal oriented person, so I'm always breaking things down, thinking about things in term of what I can do to accomplish them.

So my new goal is a car.

We know that a couple months back I was thinking about a car, and have sort of actively been pursuing one. I was thinking of giving up on the thought of a lease recently and just getting a car and having a few thousand dollar loan on it.

I debated about one of the most popular hybrids on the road, the Pre-us, or a sexy luxury car.

I explored recent graduate incentives for luxury models, and found 1 car company with several great different offers whether I went for a new or used car.

So here's what I discovered. The Preus' hybrid acceleration was whacko. I got over that you just sort of gun the engine, but I guess what drove me crazy even more were the brakes. I did not like the brakes.  The brakes felt super spongy and I could just picture myself sliding into someone.

So I explored other models and came to a realization I want a sweet luxury car that is Honduh's high end car maker. I explored new/used prices. I discovered that as much as I like the thought of a new car, it is much more sensible if I want one to buy used, plus it'll come with a 6yr/100k warranty, plus they're about $8k cheaper.

So after talking with my BF and his anti-Honduh stance, he said he knows I will do it if I have a goal in mind. So I'm officially saving a small portion of my check a month for that to be able to go buy a used one in a year or so. And I'll rub it in his face how sexy it is, and he'll tell me how wrong I am.

So my goal is $100 a month for the next 12 months in addition to what I've already been putting aside, which is about $5,000, plus my current car.

I am having a newfound love affair with my current car at the moment.

2 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: Just keep your goals reasonable and focused on something you can afford.

Ellsworth Mciltrot said...

Pretty smart thing you did there, searching for the car you wanted before actually going out and buying it. Based on the outcome, the Prius doesn’t look like the car that you wanted. A car is one of the biggest investments you can make in your life, so you should buy one that you can be comfortable using. I wish you all the best, and I hope you get your dream car soon!