Tuesday, March 18, 2008

H.S. Courses and Worry on the Mom Front

The Guy called me at 3:30 saying he had no school, he just left the gym, was going to go grocery shopping, and said I should come over. I talked with him most of the way over to his house about random stuff like the cars in front of me. There was an ugly, blue Cadillac Escalade by the way and when I told The Guy he burst out into song- "Buy Me A Cadillac" (from Dreamgirls).

Got over to his place and he asked if I was hungry. He warmed up some readymade dinners that he bought from the farmer's market. He bought a meatloaf dinner and a beef tips dinner with mixed vegetables. He told me originally I couldn't have those, then changed his mind and we stood in the kitchen eating from each other's. They weren't bad. Not a fan of mixed vegetables, but those weren't half bad. Yellow squash is not good, though; I left that in the tray.

We sat down and played WOW for an hour or so. We helped The Guy's lower level friends with their quests. Then I went to the bathroom in the hall, the main bathroom and had the light out. I started taking a piss and The Guy walks in and he didn't realize I was there. He went to his bathroom, then we ended up laying on his bed and he talked on the phone with his friend Mike up in Oregon. Mike is an ex of his and they lived together, and had a couple threesomes together. HAHA. Mike is a grad student studying Physics. Somehow The Guy and I began talking about things like my sister being stupid for commuting to college by train and relying on my parents since she doesn't have her license. Then we talked about me in college and why I'm majoring in what I am. I told The Guy my choices in colleges including Loyola in Chicago, who offered me a lot of money to go their college, but it wasn't enough. Then we talked about AP classes. The Guy took AP US, Government, Physics, Latin (I was impressed), and English. He had nearly a sophomore standing when he entered college, just like me. I told him I was impressed about the Physics. He got 4s and 5s on all of his tests, except for Physics which he got a 3. He didn't take AP Chem. I told him how I took AP Euro, US, English 11 and 12, and Spanish. I passed all of my tests. Then the conversation went back to my sister and how I found out about her AP scores- she got 1s on every test she took including Chem and English 11 and 12. He said it is pretty hard to get a 1, and how she doesn't have the advantage that I have, or he had. That made me feel good and I enjoyed hearing about his high school courseload.

After the nice conversation we went back to WOW. We played with The Guy's friend Jeff, who was a level 27 character. The Guy and I just went around KILLING everything in 1 or 2 hits. It was fun. Then about 10p.m., we called it a night. I told The Guy I was going to go back to my mom's friend Linda's house. He asked why. He said I should just stay the night. I got on the phone and called her.

The conversation went a little something like this:

Me: Hi Linda's husband, I'm going to stay the night at my friend's house.
Linda's hubby: Ok- you can tell her, her she is
Me: Hi, I'm going to stay the night at The Guy's house (I used his real name, not my friend's Mike or Steve- this is a first. I have thrown The Guy's name out to my mom and dad, but still when I'm staying the night I say Steve, or they have assumed)
Linda: Ok, why don't you want to come here? There's lots to do here.
Me: I don't know, no reason. My friend invited me to stay the night, so why not?
Linda: Ok... well, I'm against this. I'm a mother. I worry.
Me: I'll be ok, goodnight.

2-3 minutes later I get a phone call from my mom

Me: Hello
Mom: Linda just called and said you're staying the night at a friend's house
Me: Yes, The Guy (his real name) in my Spanish class (I have told my parents The Guy is in my Spanish class, which is not true, but he is a college student, so it adds validity to the story)
Mom: What do you plan to do there? You already had your Spanish final.
Me: I'm going to help him with his dog who just had surgery and play computer games.
Mom: What do you do when you go over there usually?
Me: Well, we work on Spanish and then we watch shows like "Law and Order." All of my friends are big "Law and Order" fans.
Mom: Do you plan to work tomorrow, how are you going to get up without an alarm clock?
Me: I haven't got a job yet and I can set my phone.
Mom: Ok, well, tell Linda.

Called Linda back:

Me: Hi, I just talked to my mom, and she said it is ok with her.
Linda: Well, you know, I just don't agree with it. I'm sorry, I'm a mother, I worry. I don't know this guy like I know your other friends.
(I'm thinking Linda, you don't know my other friends.)

Me: Linda, it'll be ok. He is in my Spanish class and we've hung out quite a bit before.
Linda: I don't know why you don't come on home. Please. I'd just feel safer having you here at home safe.
Me: It's ok. I understand how you feel, but really, I can handle myself and nothing will go wrong. He is in my Spanish class and so I doubt something would happen because he'd see me in class everyday and so he's not going to do anything to me.
Linda: I just don't know. I haven't met him. I don't know why you don't want to come home (insert random whimpers and it almost sounds like she is crying)
Me: I'm sorry, but I'm going to stay the night and it'll be ok.
Linda: It better be fine.
Me: It will. Bye.

Mom called a few minutes later:

Mom: Linda is really worried about this. You're always hanging out with guys. You're always staying at guy's houses. Mike, Steve, and now The Guy. I just hope nothing is going on.
Me: What would be going on? We just hang out playing computer games.
Mom: Well, I see you're spending a lot of time with them.
Me: Yeah, it's Spring Break.
Mom: Ok, I'm not going to tell you what to do or not do, but I hope you're safe, I'm not 100% comfortable with this, but I love you.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MAN... so my mom is picking up on the fact I spend the night at lots of guys houses thanks to Linda. I haven't seen my mom yet today, but I'm worried about our conversation. She'll probably ask what is going on. She may queston and drill me. I was worried I was going to have to come out to my mom on the phone there last night. WHEW. We'll see what goes down today. The only reason my mom began to worry was Linda. Ugh. Oh well...

We just played around on our computers until midnight. I was about to crash then- The Guy wasn't that tired. He went to bed though. We snuggled up to his dog and laid closer together than usual. We put our hands on each other rubbing each other's hands as we were trying to pet the dog. I slept pretty good. Woke up once about 1:30a.m. when The Guy's friend Rush, who he plays WOW with texted him to get up and play. The Guy slept with the phone in his hand. I thought that was funny and the height of ridiculousness. We both woke up at 3:30a.m. when The Guy's dog was acting really strange. He stood up, over my head, and looked like he could throw up any minute. We both got up and just stood around the bed. A couple hours later I woke up again when The Guy rolled over onto his dog and his dog didn't yelp or anything (I think that's what happened). The dog didn't make a sound and had his eyes closed. The Guy called his name and the dog wouldn't move or respond. I asked if he was alright. The Guy tried picking the dog up and he didn't do anything. Then he felt the dog and said his heart is still beating. Then after a few more moments he woke up. We slept until 9, which was HEAVEN and except for those few interruptions, it was a much needed good night's sleep.

We got up this morning and had Frosted Mini Wheats. WOW was down for upgrades, but The Guy was talking to his friends on there and helping one try to solve memory/video card problems. I got a call at 9, then again at 9:15 to go into work at 10:45. I left The Guy's place at 10:15.

We'll see what goes down with my mom today. Maybe it will be nothing, and I was just making a big deal about nothing, maybe something will. Who knows... I do know that I'm leaning toward being honest and actually coming out if need be.

Who is Linda?
Linda is my mom's best friend at work. Honestly, the lady is like a 2nd mother to me because I spend enough time with her and she treats me like her son. I've blogged about her before- if you want to read about her, go to July 2007 entries and look for the post titled June 21-July 1. Then look for the June 29th entry. She was worried I was hanging out with male friends and that I went on a trip to Santa Barbara last year with male friends. I am staying at Linda's house right now, so she is playing my mommy, haha.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

So who is this Linda and why do you have to be accountable to her? I can understand that if there's a bunch of mystery, your mom might be concerned, but may think it's drugs or something like that. But since she's mentioned all the guys, maybe she is beginning to catch on.

Anonymous said...

I think Mom knows. Still go slow.

K said...

Mommy knows playa...we will discuss on Thursday

Creative Thinker said...

I guess my advice is to be prepared as to what to say if you are asked. Better to have thought it out instead of playing it off the cuff. Sometimes its hard to think on your feet, especially in a situation like this. I would even go so far as to suggest writing out how you want to come out to you parents - that way, when you do (and it sounds like it may be coming) you can do so in a positive, together way rather than saying something thoughless or hurtful, even if by accident. My other thing is ... so you really owe Linda an explanation? I know you are close and all... not trying to step on toes...just wondering...