Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sorting out my problems

The Guy hasn't called me or been on AIM since Saturday or Sunday. He im'd me after he signed on about 3:30 today asking me to come over. I said I'd be over shortly.

I got over to his place about 4:30. I got out my computer and we played WOW. He had me install 2 cheats to help me. They helped somewhat. Am I enjoying the game more? No. My dad called wanting to talk to me about what iPod I wanted (since mine broke the other day) and favors I need to run for him. The Guy asked what was up after I got off the phone and told him what my dad said. He was as put out as I was. I have to wait around for the dishwasher repairman, go to the bank to deposit a check, call my aunt in OK, call my uncle in the next city over, and some other family stuff.

The Guy and I laid on the couch playing WOW until about 6p.m. when he asked if I was hungry. He said he could go for Bakers Square. I said I could too. He said I'd have to go get it because he was busy playing in an instance. I said I was busy playing too. I gave him a hard time about that, but then said ok. I called in our order, then went to pick it up. The waitresses decided to skimp us on ranch dressing again. I asked for extra ranch dressing and they said they had to save some for the salads. The chicken cheese melt I had was pretty good.

We watched "Law and Order" and The Guy played with his friends online. I continued playing by myself. It was sad... haha.

Now here is where the story gets convoluded and I'm intentionally being vague, but I'm kind of sorting things out in my mind as I write this and I'm a little hesitant to post and ramble about this because I don't want this to be a pity Mike sort of deal- it is my issue and I'm fighting and doing what I can with it. I am just posting about it to flush my ideas out as well as document what went on with The Guy and I:

About 9:45, The Guy asked if I wanted to go out to the spa with him. I went out and sat on the side, while he got in like usual. I need to keep a swimsuit at his place for when he goes in. Honestly though, I enjoy this time because we always talk and catch up. He told me about his ad he posted on craigslist to meet other WOW players and how he didn't like who he met. The Guy said he was Mexican and wasn't. Then we talked about how he has been playing WOW for the past 3 days, all day, nonstop. Then The Guy asked if everything is going alright with me and the family problems. I said no, things haven't improved and my aunt in Nor Cal is harassing me with early morning phone calls and stuff like that. That's an issue I don't want to go into, but we're dealing with- BELIEVE ME. She is going to regret doing this shortly. Then we talked about my dad and the iPhone. I want an iPhone- it is no secret- partly because my iPod broke this weekend. I have been buttering up the idea with my dad this past weekend saying how it would help me since I could sync my Mac to it and everything would just be there, unlike with my Blackberry that I currently have. Basically The Guy and I went back and forth about how I should try to convince my dad to let me get one. I am MORE THAN WILLING pay for the phone, as well as the extra it costs per month to have the iPhone, but my dad is of the opinion that I have a computer and don't need an iPhone; despite the fact I'm willing to pay. He won't let me add the iPhone to his account- PERIOD. I tell how my dad bought my sister a new cell phone- no quips, but with me he is making it such a big issue and saying no. It is not just because it is an iPhone, but anything I want it is always a struggle. Basically The Guy and I talked about all that I do for my dad and how I'm not rewarded or thanked for it. I understand in some aspects why I'm not getting rewarded- it is kind of expected I'll do all of this stuff. All of the reasons why I stayed close to home for college are finally unraveling and I am able to handle all of these problems. Because of this I spend a great deal of time being a social secretary for my dad (and mom- mom thanks and pays me, so she is off the hook for the mostpart) and I'm not getting rewarded. I'm fine with that because it is important for me to be here for my family in this difficult time, but it isn't just the problems that are occurring now that I have to thank for this. This has been going on for years- me doing favors for my dad and not getting any sort of thanks- either verbal or monetary. If I fail to do something my dad gets upset and tells me how irresponsible I am when I do do nothing, or if I don't meet his standards. Then when I want something I always have to fight to get it, whereas my sister just has to ask. My sister does nothing- and I even help her and don't get anything from it. My sister came into the mix because she doesn't help with any of this stuff because she is nowhere near as responsible as I am. She does nothing- she sits on her computer all day on her days off. I don't- I work close to 20 hours a week, go to school full time, deal with family issues to help my parents out, and still manage to hang out with friends. I don't have a lot of free time though, in comparison to my sister. I am constantly working to help myself and others. My dad doesn't realize that, or takes it for granted. He does anything for my sister and shelters her excuses- he denies it and just says he loves both of us equally. The thing is though, is that she just has to ask for something and gets it. ANYTHING. I have to ask, I have to beg, pout, I have to say why I need it, how it will help me, etc. etc. I don't ask for a lot- in the past 3 months I've asked for my dad to put $500 down toward my Macbook Pro, but I paid the rest and that was my birthday gift. I don't ask for a lot. My dad looks the other direction when it comes to me and I've called my dad out on it, my mom has too, and I've even written my dad letters (thanks to The Guy's encouragement). Putting my foot down, writing letters has done nothing. My dad won't listen to anyone- he just says he is fair and loves both of us kids equally- that's it. No arguing with that. Anyways, I just got real worked up tonight about that, but it was good because The Guy was there to listen and it just made me feel good to talk to him. He was able to encourage me to seek out a couple other ways to talk to my dad. It isn't going to do any good since my dad is so hard headed, but I'm going to try. I love The Guy, seriously. It just made me feel a lot better talking to him seeing that I do a lot for myself and others (even though my dad chooses to look the other way). It felt good to be able to say how much this stuff is hurting me. The issue with my dad isn't just about the iPhone, rather anytime I ask for something big or small. It is about fairness, which my dad refuses to see. I could go out and just buy the iPhone, or anything else I want. I do have a job and everything, but I don't want to spend $60.00 or so a month on a cell phone plan. I've already started cutting the cord with my parents in some ways financially and this may just have to be one of them. It just upsets me though with the whole fairness issue.

I left about 10:10p.m. and got home at 10:40. I told my mom that I was out with The Guy (used his real name). I said we had dinner at his place and worked on homework. I'm now using The Guy's name around my parents. YAY! That's a step!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,here's what I'd do and I don't know if this is what you want to hear...but I'd go buy the iphone myself, start service and that'd be that.

If your dad asks, I'd tell him, I wanted it and I got it. Your 21, an adult and if you want to buy yourself a cell phone, then go for it! Time to start cutting the parental control ties. Worked for me and it'll work for you. Sometimes you have to make them realize your not a kid anymore and that time comes for everyone.

Maybe there are ramifications to this tact that I haven't realized but what the heck, it's a device.
Don't fight over devices you want, get them.

Hope all your other issues work out for you and
glad you had solo time with the GUY. take care.

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

I have been in a similar situation. With me it was always my brother who got everything, the car, the bigger room, the new tv. My Dad never even paid for my cellphone subscription. I took care of it from my own money. Now, what always wanted a Nokia communicator and I went and bought that with my first salary. But it's not just about the phone. There is a bigger issue here. If you want to be heard, you have to put your foot down. You have to demand to be treated equally. It's not that parents don't want us to have things we want, it's that they sometimes think they know what is best for us which is not necessarily true.

Aek said...

I totally sympathize with how you feel. With me, it's not usually something I ask for (because I rarely ask for anything). I just end up doing a lot of the stuff, and I'm just expected to. I sometimes even do stuff for my brothers that they should learn to do themselves, and my parents get upset that I'm so selfish as to not help them (as if they ever helped me, or ever could).

It's one of those things, I suppose. One day you'll look back and see how it truly was. At least you have someone close to talk to.

B said...

You are amazing to your family. One day your dad will realize what a great son he's got!