Monday, February 28, 2011

Chicken, it's what's for dinner... or not

My dad and I went to the store yesterday. New York Steak was on sale as was whole chicken at $.75 a pound. My dad made hash browns and started to tenderize the steak for dinner. My sister came in as he was doing this and asked, "are you making the chicken?" He said no, he would do that Monday night since I wouldn't be home. Sister threw a fit that my dad has made chicken on Sunday for the past 3 weeks and he needed to do the same this week. Sis complained that she needs fried chicken since it is a Sunday thing. Sis wants chicken noodle soup to eat for lunch this week fro it.

My idiot dad almost gave in and said that he would cook the chicken in addition to the steak. My mom protested saying that was a "stupid idea because I don't want leftover chicken for dinner on Monday." My dad exclaimed, "but Sister wants it." My mom said that was not the issue, that it was not about her, that he was just plain stupid.

Thankfully he didn't make it.

I am getting tired of this chicken pattern.

I am tired of my sister.

And my dad giving into her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

This sister thing is one of
the most interesting things
about your blog lol! How old
is your sister? You never told us.
Sounds like she is younger than
you - in high school?

fan of casey said...

Mike: Nothing beats a good roast chicken, even better than steak. I have this lemon roast chicken recipe that comes out great. You have to marinate the chicken for a day in lots of lemon juice, herbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. The citrus makes the skin look kind of cadaversih when it's raw.

Before roasting, take the chicken out an hour out to bring it to room temperature. At the same while, using a small fan, blow air over it to dry the skin. Then roast as normal, at 375 for 70-75 minutes depending on size of the bird. Let rest 10 minutes then carve. You can make a lemony pan gravy from the drippings, a little butter, flour and chicken stock.

Teach this to your sister and she can make her own meal rather than relying on your father to cater to her every whim and wish.

Aek said...

Lol. /bitchslap your sister back into her place. :-P

Mike said...

@ Anonymous: She is 21 going on 2.

@ fan of casey: You think she has the energy or abilities to make something as fancy as that? She knows how to cook, but prefers not to.

@ Aek: I knew I liked you!

Mike said...

@ Anonymous: She is 21 going on 2.

@ fan of casey: You think she has the energy or abilities to make something as fancy as that? She knows how to cook, but prefers not to.

@ Aek: I knew I liked you!

Bruce said...

Mike, I think I hear a little birdie testing his wings so he can soon fly out of the nest. I'm just saying it's something to think about!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

@ Bruce: I agree! My goal is March of next year since I will by then hopefully have a teaching job and have had several months to save up.