Thursday, February 17, 2011

Night out with cousin

My cousin, the one who likes to make random plans when flying in from other states, the one from Oklahoma, that cousin texted me at the beginning of February to say she would be here sometime this month. I pressed her for a date. She said after Valentine's Day. I texted and pressed her for more info and we decided Wednesday or Thursday of this week we would get together. I got a text at 10:40 last night asking if we were still meeting tonight. I said yes. I told her I would plan the Mike Style Adventure, which entailed going to a hole in the wall Mexican food place in San Diego. We chose one way out.

I got called to sub at 6:30 this morning and will be there for the same teacher tomorrow. I knew I had a long day. I got a couple texts from my cousin, including one asking me to change to tomorrow night, but I said no. Mike and I may hang out tomorrow night, but also the teachers from school are having a get together. She said we would meet later than 5 if we were still going to do this. I told her that was fine. As soon as i could leave I was in the car and on my way to San Diego. I spent my prep period today looking for restaurants.

It took me 2 hours and 25 minutes to get to SD. I was coming from work, so add another 40 minutes onto the trip than usual, plus the rain and heavy fog made for slow going and heavy traffic. I got to San Diego at 5:25- meaning I parked my car at Mission Valley to go to Nordstrom Rack. I texted my cousin and asked if we were going to meet. She said she didn't know and needed some time to think about it. I made it clear both in my call and several texts to her it was either tonight or else. I ooooooh and aaaaaaah at shoes I really want at the Nordstrom Rack, but because they are expensive refrain from buying. I head down to Hillcrest, the gay neighborhood to walk around and check out the cute undies shop. I get a text from my cousin telling me where she is staying and that I could meet her at her hotel. She was staying in La Mesa, about 10 miles east. Great. The 8 wasn't moving. I knew there was another way around it. I found it! The 805 south to the 94 east and then wind through Lemon Grove/Spring Valley/La Mesa. They all seem to go in a circle. I'd never been that far east and it was cool to see the area, especially because I studied about Lemon Grove so much en mis clases because of the 1931 Lemon Grove incident- 24 years before Brown V. Board of Education.

I get to the hotel and she had just gotten out of the shower. The hotel had a chinese theme to it and had doors you had to slide to go inside. Kinda neat. Anyways, I wait on the second floor and there she is. We hug, then make our way out to her car for luggage, then back down and out to my car. I was hoping she would drive. I drove with iPhone in hand. I was on a search for a really highly rated Mexican place called Ranas Mexico City Cuisine. It was pretty good and authentic. The service was exceptional. The owner was so cool, so concerned, brought samples, yes, samples of the food for us to try. I was so tempted to go with the chipotle cream chicken, but settled with some spicy enchiladas. They had a good kick. My cousin loved the decor- bright green, but the artwork complemented and made you feel like you were inside the paintings. The owner talked to her about the paintings/inspirations for them. We were impressed.

We debrief on the family, work, school, and life. I wanted to ask her about her personal life. She asked me to tell her my htoughts about a gold chain she bought today for a male. I told her about my outing. I didn't come out to her, though, but I am sure based on that she can draw her own conclusions. We went back to her hotel and chatted. We had a good time. We talked about Sea World, Wild Animal Park, and zoos in general. She may go. So much we didn't get to talk about!!! I was disappointed. It was 11:10 and I said I thought I should head home since i have to get up at 5:45. I needed to blog first and get everything out of my system. If only I had someone up to call and tell. I'm in a chatty mood. I left officially at 11:20 after we took bad facebook photos in the mirror together of her hotel room. I got in the car at 11:20 and turned the car off at 12:43. Not bad timing for having to drive the extra distance. I will shower in the morning. Not a morning showerer, btw. Also only got 28.8 miles per gallon on this trip. I got Arco gas this morning. Arco gas is a big no no. I don't like it. To and from work I've been averaging 32mpg or so on Shell or Chevron, so I was disappointed. I just went to Arco because it was $.25 cheaper.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

those chatty periods suck! its like 2 in the morning I WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE!!!!! lol but hey we are gays we love to chat soun ds like a nice day Love<~peter~>

Anonymous said...

Hi, i'm a recent reder of your blog and I have a question: your name are Mike, and so are the name of your boyfriend? I am 22 yers old from Brazil.

fan of casey said...

Mike: How did you make it back in 1 hour 20 minutes when it took you double that time to get down to SD? You don't want to get another speeding ticket.

So did you ever get to talk to your principal?

Aek said...

Hey, you never mentioned a cute undies store when I was in SD briefly a couple months ago! :-P

Glad you had fun. Alas, I would've been sound asleep at 11:10pm your time.

Mike said...

@ Anonymous: We both have the same name, Mike.

@ fan of casey: It was all about the traffic. The traffic was a mess- Thursday night traffic with rain and fog factored in. I made it in an hour and 20 minutes doing about 70-75 the whole way home.

I have yet to talk to him and he still ignores me.

@ Aek: You never asked about the cute undies store ;-) But in a city like that there has to be!