Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Guilt over people

My classes continue to get better at work. 5th period has dramatically changed since Monday. I'd like to credit that to mis habilidades a hablar en Espanol con padres. El apoyo de padres es increible. I sent notices to the parents informing them of their child's poor behavior. I threatened the kids if I didn't have it back we would be staying after school the next day to call mommy and daddy.

I got in trouble yesterday at work. I was following what someone told me to do, but someone else had an expectation I would do something different. I didn't like the AP and her cold response toward it. That stuck with me and was still on my mind today. I hate getting in trouble. It was something I could have easily followed through with. Now I know. I should have gone with my instincts all along.

Mike's friend Candy is here through Friday. I kind of figured this morning when hearing the snow reports all of the country. Her flight yesterday was canceled.

I got a shout out on the radio this morning. It took me 68 minutes to get to work today. I was stuck in traffic. There were 2 jack knived big rigs on my way to work today due to the Santa Ana winds. Those weren't affecting traffic since they were on the other side of the freeway. What did affect my drive was a tree down on the 60. I sat in the backup for nearly 20 minutes and hadn't heard the incident on KNX, KOLA, KFROG, HOT 923, or STAR 987. I decided once I past the tree to give a call to the Ralphs Saving You Time Traffic Line, and told them I was listening to 991 since I knew they would be doing traffic in a moment, and Diana Olea always says to give her a call. I did, and she reported the tree down, and gave Mike a shout out for telling her about it. That was cool.

I hung out with The Guy today. I texted him yesterday and asked what was up, and when he was free. It was nice. I texted him about a week and a half back, and we had some good conversation via text about speakers, and at this time he said things are getting better.

I get a text from him about 2:45 telling me he is free after 3. Originally he had told me 5:30. I finish my grades at work and take off.

As I'm leaving, M yells for me. He is outside of my classroom on the field waiting for the soccer game to start I go over y conversar con sus padres (talk with his parents) and tell them how proud in the past week or so since our conference he has become a leader in the class and raised his grade nearly 10%.

Anyways, I get over to The Guy's, and like usual he is on the phone with work trying to solve an issue. He manages. We hug a couple times. I came in with a present in my hand. I got him the 1970s version of "Bionic Woman" on DVD. He couldn't believe it. He said things like "no way!" I figured he would have seen it as it had popped up in my recommendations on amazon, so I figured it was being widely touted since that's not something I'd be likely to watch. We hug and he thanks me. I also bring back the camera I borrowed to videotape my lesson. He tries to rip the show to put on his Apple TV. I tell him about Mike and what happened with Ry. He was a little surprised.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it Ry messaged me Monday night inviting me over to his place Monday night to watch Rue Paul. I told him I have class.

The Guy and I decide to head out to Target, but change our mind when he doesn't think he can hold a trash can in his car with the dogs. We instead go to Petco. As we were walking out of the house I brought up my issues with getting my teaching credential thanks to my college. The Guy told me how ridiculous that was. He asked if I ever feel worried about what people think of me for standing up for the right thing. We know I'm vocal. With the whole teaching credential issue I have not only talked to my advisor, but the head of the education program for the satellite campus I attend, and now I CC/carbon copy the head of the education program for the main campus. I get results. I told him not really. It is other people who are inefficient. The other people should be handling something and they are not. I said that with my college it is really trickling down to 1-2 people and this week one of the persons is in the hot seat. I don't feel bad when I'm getting screwed over. He told me how he feels bad for complaining and has been talking to his therapist about it. He went to the gym the other day and it was filthy, especially in the restroom. He told me he wants to switch gyms. He asked if he should feel bad. I told him I didn't think so since the gym complaints are so often not handled. I know this because Gonzo worked at a gym. I heard how the complaints go. I said I would call/email corporate, and he did. He said he just feels bad since he complains and he does so little sometimes at work and other things. I pointed out these people are not doing their jobs. He complemented me on how I am willing to take a stand and am persistent.

We go through Petco and I tell him about how I got in trouble at work yesterday and how the woman was not apologetic about it. I told him how I was told to do one thing and follow what someone else had done, and I got in trouble for doing that. I told him how I can see all sides of the issue, but I got in trouble. I told him I got no apologies. Somehow this fit into all that we were talking about. I think my point was I have guilt over what she said.

We go to Trader Joes and start really healthily buying broccoli and carrots, then as we get down the middle aisles end up with hamburgers, pulled pork, and a few other things. We talked about how we were both hungry, and he again complemented me on how I'm good with portion control.

We go get the dogs at the pet daycare. I told him I hadn't told him about my sister. I told how she is a TA. We talked about the distinction. I told him how I was angered by it. I mentioned how I'm waiting for all of this to hit the fan. He said he could tweet, like my sister, that she is a professor, but it is just talk. He said that he doesn't think that will get her in trouble despite having her real name over everything. He thinks it will be my sisters inability to deal with people that will cause everything to hit the fan. He thinks it will be she tells a student to do something, then goes off on them. He thinks it will be she is ill prepared for something and it comes out. He told me I'm approaching this the wrong way- instead of being frustrated I need to laugh at her and her fantasy world. We talked about how she is convinced she has her own reality and that she is a professor, and us telling is not enough. She needs therapy. Something.

The Guy had a big lunch at work and brought the leftovers home for us to eat. We put the groceries away, cleaned up the kitchen, did the dishes, and then he warmed up some delicious baked chicken with a greek yogurt/garlic sauce, and made some fresh Crystal Light. We don't talk much during dinner. The Guy was tired since he only got 2 hours of sleep last night since he was up all night watching "No Ordinary Family."

I take off about 6:30. We plan to hang out every Wednesday, which should be cool.

2 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: You didn't tell The Guy about your Excel/Mac problem. Especially how your sis trashed your assignment.

On another note, The Guy has a way of calming you down, like his advice about your sis pretending to be a prof. Here's a general rule I try to follow: Worry about things you can change, don't worry over things you can't cause it will just stress you out and you have no control over anyway.

Aek said...

Yes, about Ry, what's happened on that front?

And The Guy has good advice. Don't be frustrated, but be amused by your sister's situation (knowing that it's a fine line she's walking before something bad happens).