Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wine bar

Mike and I went to the wine bar near my house that I'd been to once before with Keith. It was so disappointing this time. It all started out this morning. I got a text from him about 8:30a.m. inviting me to Palm Springs this Sunday. We got to texting back and forth, and he said he'd text me later to tell me where we will go for dinner. He texted me about 4:30 and asked where I wanted to go. I named about 8 places in my city and he narrowed it down to 2- sushi or the wine bar. I chose wine bar because I had sushi for lunch. I was down near the mall and had a craving, so I popped into this place with really cheap sushi. I find sushi doesn't always fill me up. After a few hours no matter how much I eat I find myself hungry again. Plus, eating it earlier I thought this would be the safer choice.

It wasn't. The food was horrible. I am not a fan of the Cheesecake Factory. I like their dessert, but their food is disappointing. I find myself trying a new dish everytime in the hopes of finding something I would like to eat on a regular basis when I go there with friends. I've yet to find that dish. I ordered the lemon chicken there once, and the lemon chicken at the wine bar tasted just like that- lemon was the spice. Lemon is not a spice. There should be hints of lemon, or a lemon sauce on top, or lemon zest to tell you that it is lemon chicken. Not marinated in lemon and lemon is all you taste. Mike was disappointed by the clam linguini. We'll see how long I get to pick out restaurants after this. Anyways, the only good thing was the truffle mac and cheese, and that was a small appetizer no bigger than a small ice cream bowl for $11.00. It was $32 for both of us, which was excessive. We did have a glass of wine, but still. The all you could eat sushi was only $21.

We do have some good conversation about hoarding, the area we were in, school, work, the lack of diversity in the restaurant, and earthquakes. Mike has never felt an earthquake in So Cal beyond rattling of the windows. And he never felt the Easter earthquake last year. Where was he? Traveling? He wants to feel one and thinks So Cal needs a wakeup call. I pointed out the 5 and 14 collapsing during Northridge was not enough, but he claimed it was too long ago. No. No earthquakes, thanks.

3 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: I told you Bistro Shrimp Pasta at the Cheesecake Factory, altho if I recall, that's quite lemony too. I also found out later that it's one of the worst dishes fat-wise. Oh well, there's chicken marsala or chicken madeira at CF. Those are like the 3 things I usually order. I'm going there next month for my birthday. And have pineapple upside down cheesecake.

All you can eat sushi for $21 is a steal, as long as it's good quality ingredients.

There's always cook your own korean BBQ.

Aek said...

I've had decent dishes at Cheesecake Factory before, but I forget what they are . . . the chicken madeira sounds familiar. I think it was the pasta carbonara that I tried that I thought was okay.

Mmm, sushi . . .

Phunk Factor said...

After experiencing one just last month which was thankfully really really deep so didn't cause any damange...although it was measured to be 6.2!!

*gulp*

I'm totally with you!! No earthquakes!