Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mission: step out of comfort zone

Gonzo is always sooooo busy. It takes weeks to plan something with her. I was elated on Sunday when she said she could go to the mall Tuesday and we should make a day of it. Make a day was an understatement.

She texted me at 8:20 this morning saying to meet at Macys at 9:20. I arrive as she does. We go in to Macys and probably spend 45 minutes waiting for the mall to open. She shops for pants for her boyfriend and I look at the shirts. I find a couple things I liked and showed Gonzo. She said I should get those. I said if I didn't find anything else I would.




We spent the next 3 hours going around the mall- all the shoe stores, Urban Outfitters, Anchor Blue, Charlotte Russe, and Forever 21. Gonzo spends lots of time trying on stuff at Forever 21. She wanted purple pants and then I was sent on a search to find a match for them. She didn't like the mustard yellow top I brought back, the shirt with tons of lace, but did like the black vest. She bought purple pants, gray pants, and the black vest. Our mission was to buy colors we normally wouldn't wear. I bought a mustard buttondown yellow shirt as well as a purple and orange buttondown at Express I can wear with black pants or a nice pair of blue jeans. We made our way back to Macys where I ended up buying this white shirt and vest below because it is something I would not normally wear. I like shopping with Gonzo because she doesn't mind me trying clothes on or herself, so there is no pressure and she is honest about her likes and dislikes.



We're still not done, after a day of hard work, we had to destress. Gonzo's idea was to get her eyebrows threaded so she could feel pretty. I said I don't feel relaxed after getting work like that done. I said a pedicure was more my thing. She laughed and said "oh Mike- nuhuh," and gave me that look of suspicion like would I really do it? I said yes and said that we both wanted pedicures. So we spent the next 45 minutes or so getting our legs and feet rubbed, and our toe nails done, which was very relaxing.

All of this tough work made us hungry. I had a $25 gift certificate from the Olive Garden that I got for Christmas last year I had never used. I said we should go there since it is right across from the mall. She agreed when I said it was my treat. We were seated once we walked in, which NEVER happens there. That just shows the economy is bad. The service was great. Our waiter kept asking us if we needed refills, more cheese, and stuff like that. We tipped him well. We talked about the cast of characters from high school and what everyone is up to. I told her about what's going on in my life with various people and stuff like that. She told me about her and her boyfriend and how boring he is compared to me when it comes to things like shopping, trying new clothes, and fun stuff like that.

Our day ended at 2:45 and was deemed a success.

Edit: Tonight we had to go to kickboxing at the gym. Gonzo called me at 5:20 saying she wanted to go to the gym with me, so we went to the 6p.m. kickboxing class. It was pretty intense. I was sweating a lot by the end.

5 comments:

DJCM said...

Imagine a world where everyone could step out of their comfort zones more often.

Aek said...

o.O?

Your day was WAY out of my comfort zone, haha. I dislike shopping and consequently have little fashion sense (the vest + white shirt looks nice on you, btw). Pedicure, probably not for me. I walk and use my feet too much for a pedicure to last long, I think.

I'm glad you had fun though, albeit not my version of fun. XP

Anonymous said...

Commence means to start. I think you mean your day ended at 2:45.

Mike said...

Anonymous: I knew that... for some reason I was thinking to myself commence didn't fit there. Consider that error fixed.

dan said...

oh mike..... what am i going to do with you, you shopper you, ya know there IS a recession going on... right??? ha
hey is gonzos bf the same guy that you saw on a gay cl ad? just wondering. later