Monday, July 19, 2010

Improvements

This summer we seem to be in the midst of a lot of home improvement at my house. One small project leads to a much bigger one.

When we had our central a/c installed the contractors told us there was some insulation missing in one area, which lead my dad to want to redo the whole insulation up in the attic. So we've been moving/removing what is up there, and installing new styrofoam and fiberglass insulation. Oh, and it is 100-110 right now in Cali, mind you, imagine how hot it is in the attic.

We had an invasion of bees earlier in the spring in one of the eaves, which has led us to call an exterminator, and now work on replacing the trim along the house. We haven't had time since the insulation is taking up all the time.

We are having new windows installed in the house in about 2-3 weeks. We had window air conditioners prior to the central a/c being installed. My mom threw a fit and didn't think we would use the central air, so the window a/c's remained. We took all of those out, and the big one in my parents room. In the meantime we had to put up boards and insulation in the meantime. The only reason this project was sped up was my mom's hairdresser was promised the air conditions and wanted them last Friday.

I'd like to paint my room. Maybe that'll happen soon. I am just not in the mood right now as I'm doing other things. My mom absolutely hated the blues and grays I had chosen. I think it'll end up being a darker brown accent wall. She was more agreeable to that. She kept going back to all of her home ec classes, all of her years working in the fashion field and fashion design field, the color wheel, and how those colors don't match.

The kitchen is still a big battle lurking. My mom doesn't want to put out the money to have it redone.

I'm actually enjoying this for the learning process and seeing how everything is done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur mom would hate me i want my room green of course its accented with brown so it shouldnt be to bad but its always nice to have something to do with your hands LOve<~Peter~>

Dean Grey said...

I'd kill for central air right about now!!

-Dean