Sunday, October 31, 2010

No going out, but still have lots going on

I didn't go out really this week. Here's a look at what has gone on that is noteworthy:

Work/Student teaching:
I'm student teaching at my old high school. I taught my first couple lessons last week on Poe. It went alright. The kids really had a hard time understanding Poe, so my master teacher and I created an assignment to help them navigate the text. I actually have 2 master teachers (not supposed to be that way, but my college was insistent on it). Both teachers have totally different styles and so I'm getting the best of both worlds? So far so good. First observation Tuesday. I feel prepared. I am enjoying my experience so far. YAY! I wonder how my other friends are doing...

School:
I'm currently working on week 3's assignments. I just need to complete my journal and discussion board for that week and I can call it done. I am not writing anything yet because I really want to see how she grades the first week before going any further. A lot of my anxiety is gone by doing that. I still am apprehensive about the masters program.

Car:
We got a car finally this weekend. This is only my mom's 2nd new car ever. This took up a good majority of the week. My mom decided what she wanted last weekend, but by that time the color she wanted was all sold out. I knew in the back of my mind she wanted this color. We contacted dealer after dealer. I looked online at the carmakers website each day and there were still none in stock. Dealt with lots of idiotic internet sales people leaving me voicemails.

Finally on Friday afternoon I went dealer by dealer website like I had earlier in the week. I found a dealer 40 miles away that had 1 in stock. We called and they said they actually had 3. One was an upgraded model, one had the wrong interior color, and one had just what we planned. After talking to the salesman about price he would give us the upgraded one for only $500 more (a $1500 savings). We weren't planning on spending that much, but after all the extras we're getting we decided it was alright. We called my dad. Called the dealer back and told him to hold the car until Saturday morning.

We get to the dealer Saturday morning about 10:30. The salesman I spoke to handed me off to another guy while he sat in the main office. Original salesman sent a technician out to get the car. After about an hour of being there and them slowly running our credit, getting all of our information, going over price, he said the car was in Oxnard. Oxnard is in Ventura County 100+ miles away. We were a little annoyed. It doesn't seem that new if it will have 100+ miles on it when we get it. Hahaha. Alas, we need the car right now, it was exactly what we wanted, it was a good price, and so we made sacrifices. We left the dealer about 3:30. Ick. The dealer still didn't have the car and said they would by 5p.m. They asked if we wanted it delivered to our house. We said sure rather than spend our time waiting around. The more we thought about it we thought it would be dark by the time the car gets to us. We really wanted to see it in the daylight, so we asked for them to bring the car today. We got a call about 9a.m. and they still didn't have the car. They promised and swore up and down we would have it by 3. We got it by 4. We had them bring it to my old elementary school because my mom wanted to test out all the cool high tech features in a parking lot without a lot of people around. Salesman showed her the car. This evening I've scotch guarded the car and played around the cool accessories like a navigation system, backup camera, and other little nifty things. My mom seems happy.

Sister hasn't thanked my parents for her new car. Um. Ok.

Ry:
I haven't seen him since last week
. He has had a bad week- didn't really elaborate to me, but a lot of drama that won't be resolved until Tuesday or so. We have texted back and forth, although less frequent than before. We have spent the evening together watching the new AMC show "The Living Dead." It is ok. He loves it. We've chatted back and forth on IM about it.

Halloween:
I was alone since Ry changed his plans about us going to a bar with his friends. Many friends went to WEHO. I was ok with that as I had a lot going on with the car and wanted to get ahead in school to put my mind at ease. Went grocery shopping today, ran errands, got the car, did homework. Not bad. I did not see any trick or treaters tonight. We usually have quite a few. None tonight.

Computer problem:
I did something the other night I'm trying to figure out. I don't remember the exact details right now. I was just kind of surprised. I let my computer battery run completely down. I tried to turn the computer back on and realized it wouldn't turn on. I grab the power cord and plug it in. I notice that when everything is back up and running that my computer is now not saving my passwords to everything from email to everyday generic sites that require password information. Any ideas what happened or how I can remedy this? I've cleared out my history and reentered the passwords to no avail. I'm thinking I tripped the battery or the internal battery may be going. This seems really weird. Remember I'm on a Mac. Any ideas, guys?

2 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: Your mom's new SUV sounds sweet with all the upgrades, I hope she lets you drive it some time since you did most of work getting it.

I have worked with Macs before, include their laptops but I've never run into the problem you described. Perhaps The Guy can give you some help.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what would help on the Mac/password issue. I can't even get the PS3 to take my modem password.

If in doubt, ask and apple store guy! They aren't always right though (I had one tell me wrong stuff before).