Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Made a chili I like

I do not like my dad's chili. It is simply kidney beans, ground beef, and chili powder. There's more I'm sure, but that's all I see, and that's not chili. My mission was to make a chili that I really liked over this break. I think I perfected it.

I was on a search to find a good chili, and this is what I made for dinner tonight.

Overall the verdict went like this: my dad didn't like it because his has better ingredients. My mom thought it was good, but not as filling as my dad's. I really liked it.

Great on a rainy night like tonight in So Cal!!!

Adapted from Rachael Ray's Chili Con Carne

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), corn oil or vegetable oil
2 pounds ground sirloin
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 rounded tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
1 tablespoon grill seasoning (a palmful), such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 tablespoon ground cumin (a palmful)
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander (half a palmful)
1 bottle lager-style beer
1 cup beef stock
1 can chunky-style crushed tomatoes (28 ounces) (***I used diced tomatoes)
* I added a can of kidney beans
* I added cheddar cheese to the topping
* I added bacon to the topping
*** There wasn't tons of excess liquid ingredients in the pan, but next time to make it a little less soupy I would take out a little bit of the beef stock and a small bit of the beer.

PREPARATION
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about two tablespoons. When the oil ripples, add the ground sirloin and crumble the meat as it cooks, about three minutes. Add the onion and garlic, chili powder, grill seasoning, cumin and coriander. Cook another five minutes.

Add beer and cook another minute, stirring to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and tomatoes, and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.

7 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: Sounds yummy. I would probably add another can of kidney beans and some sliced mushrooms. What do you serve it over/with?

OK, right after me telling you we don't eat everything with rice here in Hawaii -- I would serve it over, what else? Rice. Or spaghetti. Yum.

PS: I like your unconventional measuring style -- most cookbooks would say tablespoon or teaspoon instead of palmfuls. Heh-heh!

Mike said...

I served it as it was with cornbread. The corn bread and the chili were both could have been on the table within 25 minutes. I timed it. I let it sit for about 15 minutes more until everyone arrived home.

And the palmful thing throws me off- everyone has different sized palms- although I will admit that if I make a recipe frequently enough I tend to guess measure much to my mom's displeasure, as she taught me how to measure properly.

Mike said...

And do a 5 minute cornbread if you don't want to heat the oven up and go through that whole process.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/5-minute-microwave-cornbread/Detail.aspx

Aek said...

Mmmm. I may just have to try that recipe out! I've never made chili before, but it's been something I've been meaning to try . . . like tres leche cake (randomly unrelated, I know).

Anonymous said...

You're making my mouth water. :) You make it sound easier than I though making chili was, must try it sometime.

Anonymous said...

Try the same receipe by adding a 14 ounce can of crushed tomatoes and a pinch or two of sugar. See how you like.

Mike said...

@ Aek: Chili is so easy and so hard to mess up- try it! Tres leche is so yummy, y tambiƩn lo mismo por dulce de leche.

@ Marvin: Do it, Now!

@ Anonymous: It sounds really good! I plan to make it again and definitely experiment.