Sunday, December 26, 2010

Birthday Ideas

My birthday is coming up next month and I'm thinking about how I want to celebrate. It is nice that it is on a Saturday and I have the day off. Here's some ideas that appeal to me...

Gonzo, myself, and maybe another friend spend the afternoon/evening getting lost in LA/West Hollywood. This would mean we do some shopping or sight seeing, then grab some dinner either from a gourmet food truck (if it were just Gonzo and I), a small Mexican eatery like Al and Bea's, or a nice restaurant for under $15 a person. A novelty restaurant would be fun like The Original Pantry, Swingers Diner, or Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles. Then we would go to a club or bar like The Abbey. I have to tell Gonzo this one now if I want it to happen. I do.

A birthday dinner with former coworkers- Gonzo, Viv, Marci, Darla, Eddy, and a few others.

Birthday dinner with a group of friends- Gonzo, Darla, Dennis, The Guy, Robert (The Guy's boyfriend), the guy I am seeing, Jack Off Buddy, his boyfriend, and probably Keith- small, yet intimate.

Since my birthday is on a weekend I plan to milk it for what it is worth. I am thinking maybe a trip with the family and trying something new like the Metro food tour. I just checked the Metrolink schedule to Los Angeles and they no longer travel to my city with the exception of an early and late train each weekend. 6a.m. is so not happening. Boo... hmmm.... I really want to try this, and to not have to deal with parking or any of those other issues would make this worth it. Sightseeing and seeing the city on foot is also appealing. Anyone have any must see places in LA that they love to go to that I need to know about?

As far as restaurants are concerned I know my family wants to take me out and my thoughts are Morton's lunch, my favorite Spanish restaurant, or even a hibachi grill like Benihana, although not Benihana, something local. This would happen if the LA plan is nixed.

All of my ideas seem to revolve around food... lol... well, it is what seems to bring myself and all of my friends together.

6 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: You still have to try vietnamese pho noodles soup and their sandwiches, maybe make that the adventure. Or do a tour dinner -- one place for drinks and pupus, another place for dinner, and a third place for dessert.

Phunk Factor said...

I second fan of casey...incidentally, how old r u turning on ur b'day? ;)

Aek said...

Fun stuff!! :-D

So, tell us more about this guy you're seeing. It's been a while since you had an update on that front! :-P

Anonymous said...

I've heard LA has Ethiopian and Persian restaurants... How about that? Always wanted to try myself, but SB doesn't have any, sigh. And yes, Metrolink is so weird!

Mike said...

@ fan of casey: The Vietnamese food is on my list to try! I like the dinner tour idea.
@ Phunk Factor: 24
@ Aek: I'm kind of keeping him under wraps as I don't want to open up my mouth too soon. Let's just say he has planned a New Years get away.
@ M@rvin: I would love to try Ethiopian and Persian food too.

Mike said...

I guess what I'm realizing is that I'm still having a hard time separating my straight and gay life. Many of my gay friends are older, and some of my friends still don't know. I'm a little worried about how my other friends would react not only to me being gay, but to my friends being older. That was hard to admit.