Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wine purchase

I went grocery shopping like usual today, and now that I am teaching in the same community that I am working in I have the tendency to see students. I saw Cyndy last week and Pete today. It wasn't a big deal and I said hello. Pete and his mom started following me and we both stopped at the meat counter at the same time, the produce, and then finally I went over into the liquor section. I never go over there except when we need cooking wine, as was the case today. We needed a white wine for a pasta and a new chicken recipe I want to try. I get the wine without thinking and carry it to the cart that is sitting in the produce section with my sister. It is obvious by Pete's stares that he saw me with it, and obviously I was being judged for doing the wrong thing. I just kind of laughed about it in my mind that these stories I had heard about teachers who get caught buying alcohol finally happened to me. Oh, and to make matters worse it was just my sister and I at the store- my dad was next door shopping. Who knows what kind of message this poor soul got...

4 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: The only thing that can make this more awkward is if they carded you at the register: "Can I please see some ID?" Most of the supermarkets here will card you if you look under 25 even though the official drinking age is 21. Hell, just last week I got carded and I'm way over 25. :-)

Mind Of Mine said...

From a bottle of wine? Pete must be very sheltered if he see's this as immoral or wrong.

Aek said...

Lol, nice. At least wine is classy. :-P

Mike said...

fan of casey: The only time I get carded is with friends.
Mind of Mine: Many of these kids ain't seen nothing yet. Aek: My thinking exactly- at least it wasn't a 24 pack.