Saturday, April 12, 2008

A party with the real Mike (and the trio of Mikes)

Mike T and Steve, as I have said many times are my codenames for The Guy- or were- before I told my parents his real name. Mike and Steve are friends from high school and the 3 of us were going to have a party at Mike's house Friday night. Steve couldn't make it, but I made it. It was Mike T, the other Mike, and myself.

I haven't seen Mike T in the longest time. I miss him dearly. We used to see each other every break, but he is always working and pulls 40+ hours a week at Circuit City in addition to school.

I got to Mike's place at 7:30 and the other Mike from high school was there also along with Alex. We sat around playing Guitar Hero and Mike T talked about his plans for the night- Guitar Hero, a cigar, and he was going to play bartender. Mike invited a bunch of people like his coworkers from Circuit City.

Mike T mixed me a missionary downfall- it seemed like antithesis of the Mike I remembered- that good, Christian boy, and one who would stick up for anything in the Bible- a missionary downfall didn't seem like the drink he would be mixing, or him mixing drinks alone. The other Mike didn't want anything to drink and prides himself on never having anything to drink in his life. If only Mike T's parents knew... they're even more strict and conservative than mine.

We talked about each other's lives- theater, work, school, etc. Then more people began to show. The other Mike and Alex took off. There were some funny sexual jokes passed around. Alex had an idea that they were going to go to Albertsons to recruit girls to come to the party. Mike T joked they were really blowing each other in the car. They were gone for over an hour and as more people showed like Caroline and Amanda and wondered where the 2 of them were, we said they were looking for girls. Then I said I think there is something more- Mike T explained it is like when 2 girls go to the bathroom, they like each other and want to help each other out. The 2 guys were helping each other out. They didn't get it, then Mike said in a sexual way, providing sexual favors. Amanda laughed. They were gone an hour or so. When they got back we looked over them to see if they had cum on each other.

Mike's coworkers from Circuit City began to show and one of them left with Amanda and Caroline who went to Carls Jr. for food. Mike and one of his coworkers stepped outside to the patio to have a cigar. That surprised me- Mike- Mr. Perfect- Mr. Bible Thumping- Mr. Anti-Drinking- Mr. Anti-Smoking was going to have a cigar. Basically he is going through a rebellious phase and so is experimenting with drinking, smoking, but no drugs. He says he is 21 now and so he can do what he wants.

I went back in after a while and played Rock Band with Mike and Alex. I sang "Wanted, Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi and a couple other songs. I also did "Roxanne" by the Police. It was fun times. Mike T couldn't believe I did this and that it didn't take getting me all liquored up to do that. He was also surprised at what a loud mouth I had become as I was talking back to Alex when he was saying how great of a drummer he was- I told him he wasn't etc. etc.

Mike mixed me a rum and coke and began down his "raunchy" drink list. He printed off a list of recipes of anything that sounded really raunchy and was out to make it. More of Mike's coworkers came and they kind of huddled around talking. I remained with Scott and Chris, Alex, and Mike. Scott and Chris were 2 real popular kids in high school that I hated. We didn't actually talk, but I was more comfortable around them than the Circuit City crew.

I left at 12:00a.m. because I have to be at work for a meeting at 7:30a.m. and I knew I wanted to blog about this just because Mike surprised me so much. As I was leaving though, Mike and I went outside and stood around up against his car talking. Apparently like Mike surprised me, I surprised him. He didn't see me as one who would drink, one who could drink so much and not feel a buzz (seriously, Mike's drinks were not strong- he needs to take a bartending lesson from The Guy), or be loud an obnoxious like tonight. He smoked a couple of cigarettes and we talked about my life. We talked about his life last week when we talked to each other for the first time in a long while. He wants to buy a house real soon, then go back to a university rather than community college like he is at now. I made the mistake(?) of mentioning about my dad and my relationship. It has never been great and Mike was one of the few people in high school I told about it. There were a lot of bad verbal fights between my dad and I who disagreed on a lot of issues. I told him where we have ended up and basically the situation now. He was so supportive. He didn't really drill me or anything- rather he just said he knows we haven't had the best relationship, but if I was happy now that's all that matters. He was just real nice about it and said as long as I'm happy, that's all that matters. His dad, like mine, both are the same way, so he knows where I'm coming from. This whole conversation and being able to confide in him that way just made me feel like if I were to come out to him, it would be a lot easier after seeing this side of him. I probably would have been a lot more outgoing, but I didn't want it to slip about my thing with The Guy or that I'm gay, so I was somewhat reserved and foregoed all the conversations related. We shook hands, then hugged. I think this is my first hug I have got from him. I love hugs.

So glad I got to hang out with the friends from high school tonight and I hope Mike and I hang out again soon as well as the other Mike.

I wanted to also say a couple more things- I see so many in my area who still hang out with their high school friends. Caroline and Amanda graduated the year after me, but they have a big group of friends they hang out everytime they get a chance. The same goes for Mike, Steve, Sam, Jenn, Melissa and my group. I can name a bunch of other groups I see of people, still 3 years after I graduated who are high school friends who still hang out with each other, go to the gym together, work together, and so on... that just amazes me since so many people say high school friendships don't last and college ones do.

Another thing... I enjoy blogging and love it... I love talking about random stuff in my life and stuff like that. I want to get a little more interactive I guess and rather than just talk about me, pose a question to my readers. So here's my question for tonight: What is your favorite alcoholic drink? OR Are you still in contact with high school friends?

4 comments:

Matt said...

1) Bombay Sapphire martini, very dry with a lime twist.

2) 1 month shy of 6 years on from high school graduation and I'd say I'm friends with about half of my high school friends although I don't see them as much as I'd like. College blows everyone to the far corners.

Aek said...

1. I like Sex on the Beach. Or this other drink consisting of blue curacao, vodka, Sprite, and a bit of lime/lemon juice.

2. I keep in touch with a handful, not too many.

Bruce said...

My favorite drink is a vodka seven, vodka snd seven up. Easy to order in a loud bar and goes down really smooth.

Since I graduated from high school almost 27 years ago, yes I'm that old, I only have stayed in touch with one or two friends from that time. I do often run into some of the old friends when I go back to visit my mother in Louisiana and depending on my mood, either talk them up or avoid them like the plague.

Creative Thinker said...

1. anything with alcohol.
2. I graduated 23 years ago and I still see people from high school. In fact, I saw one of them yesterday. High school friends are great...the longer you are away from high school, the stronger these bonds get. These people are the ones that really know you.