Monday, August 4, 2008

Just hanging out

The Guy and I had been planning since last Friday or so to hang out today. I called him at 9:30 and he didn't pick up the phone. I try not to worry, then an hour later he calls. He said Alfonso was at his house working on the fans. He said Alfonso and Alfonso (dad and son named Alfonso- his handymen) would be there all day and just come in when I arrive. The Guy had to workout at 11, but would be done at 12 and we would meet about 12:20 or so.

I get to his place at 12:20 and sit in the car for a few seconds finishing up a call with my cousin. I get out of my car, lock it, then The Guy pulls in. I was parked where he usually does, so I moved so he could park. Then he gets out of the car and goes in the house. I do too. I see the cupboard next to the door where the cups used to be is gone, the popcorn ceiling is also gone. The ceiling fan is also down. Alfonso is working on finishing the ceiling and stripping it of the popcorn. Alfonso, the son, is working on the ceiling fan. The Guy says we're going to go eat, we'll bring them drinks, today was going to be an atypical hangout for us, and we'd just play it by ear. Jeff had to come to use the internet since his was down and he had to work.

The Guy says we'd go get food. We argue over who will drive. I opt to because my car is in the way. The Guy makes fun of me and doesn't understand the whole no key concept in my car. He called Jeff as we drove to the food place we were going to to see what he wanted. His choice was chicken or salmon. He chose the chicken. The Guy directs me since I had never been to this place. We argue because I pass up a parallel parking space because I didn't know where we were going and argue some more when I didn't flip the car around to get another space because 4 cars were behind me. I park about halfway down the block and we get out. The Guy talks about how tired he is and I tell him it is because he worked his legs out. He never complains about arms. I asked about his workout routine, which is legs 2 days a week.

The Guy and I walked in and made our order. The restaurant was really quirky. You order a protein, a sauce for it, then a side. You have two choices- salmon or chicken. You have about 10 different sauces and sides to choose from. The sides include brocolli, white potatoes sauteed in olive oil, rice pilaf, and a bunch more. It is a fast casual restaurant and cost about $8 per person. While waiting for the food we walked up the street, then down the street, and around the "village" as it is called looking for a liquor store. The Guy complained about how far we had walked. Then he realized my parking place was ideal because it was in the middle of both places we went to. He still gave me a hard time.

We go back and eat and mmmmmmmmmmm and oooooooooooooo about how good the food is. It really was. We talked about my counseling session and how we mainly talked about keeping my confidence up. I told him how I had such a difficult night last night with my sister going after my neck and how I had to move my mattress in a different direction. His response was just "wow"- he didn't realize how traumatized I am. Then we played around on the computer looking at myspace and realjock. The Guy showed me the stand he wanted to buy for electronics at Best Buy and I showed him bedroom sets I want. The Guy did not like the bedroom set I really liked and some of them that I was kind of unsure about he agreed as not being what I need. I don't want something too old, too traditional, too retro. Here's some pics of bedroom sets I'm looking at.

Picture 1- nice bedroom, but I couldn't let my feet hang over the bed
Picture 2- sharp and VERY masculine
Picture 3- would look good without the canopy and the furniture shape is interesting
Picture 4- Too kid like (I agree, but the full bedroom set was $500, so I wanted his opinion)
Picture 5- The Guy called this the "I am young and hip and can get you into bed with me bed" In my current house because it was built in the 60s/70s would look ok, but in something newer would be harder to play with to make it work. I'd have to go with bamboo or lilies, or use 60s retro artwork or something on the walls.
Picture 6- elegant and functional
Guys, feel free to comment on your favorite. I like 5 a lot, but would definitely need help to figure out what would look good with it. 1, 5, and 6 are my favorite. I will probably post more as the time comes closer to buying a bedroom set.








Jeff arrived about an hour later around 2p.m. Jeff agrees with The Guy and I on the beds. Then he shows his bedroom set, which is a canopy bed also and really looks sharp in black. I explained how I want something that won't look dated, is not traditional, but can be used in a variety of settings (whether we stay in this house or move into a newer one AND once I move out). The 3 of us sat in the office and invited the dog in to sit and chill. Jeff was looking at myspace videos like of a camel carrying a car. We wondered how they got it up there.

Then The Guy decided him and I needed to go to Best Buy. I drove as he called his brother to talk about markups and how they work in his dad's business. The Guy wanted to buy a new TV stand for his bedroom to give his old one to Jeff. We go to Best Buy, walk around, then go to the back. The guy from Best Buy said that the set The Guy wanted was discontinued- or parts of it. The Guy asked what they had and he said look in the book and he'd say if they had it or not. The Guy asked about one and this lunatic said "we don't have those knobs and the feet for that since they've been discontinued." The person in the home entertainment department said he could get it by September 9. The Guy said he could buy it elsewhere. We go to his stereo and electronics place to price it out. It was a full $100 cheaper than Best Buy, plus he gets the "stiletto" feet for it. The Guy will order it tomorrow since the guy he works with there wasn't working today.

We go back and Jeff is again playing on myspace and taking business calls. He designs business cards and gives presentations on that- he was laid off a few months back from a job where he designed computer networks. We sit in the office and joke around. We talk about how much The Guy is texting, how he is talking to his ex, whom just broke his foot hiking, and things like that. Jeff and The Guy talk about friends they had and who was dating who. The Guy talked about the tension between his ex and Jeff- Jeff was going through a hard breakup at the time and was constantly on the phone with The Guy. We talked about each other's lives. The Guy updated us on Louis, Aaron, and my life. He just said I had a bad experience at a bar the other night. The Guy talked about how he thinks tattoos are on their way out because they don't carry shock value anymore and people who have them are now getting old and wrinkly, so they're dying down. I showed him my friend Aurea's HORRIBLE tattoos of fantasy elephants on her back that look more like griffins with wings. The Guy agreed they were pretty ugly. Then he goes onto my myspace and changes my myspace status to something like "I've never been happier. WOOOOOT. Bring on life baby" or something to that effect.

The Alfonso's are busy cleaning up, so we go outside and sit in the living room after The Guy runs the vacuum. He talks about wanting to have his bed deep cleaned, his carpets shampooed, and things like that. He talked about how he has thought about expanding his kitchen, but how now he is just going to put the hanging lights in his kitchen and find a new place for all of his laundry detergents and things that were in the cabinet to where he moved the glasses to. Confusing? Yes... not expecting you to worry about these details. . The Guy gives his dog a bone for being so good today. He was really upset standing outside and watching The Guy, The Alfonso's and I inside. He was crying and everything. We watched him chew his bone, then talked about dateable guys that The Guy was texting. There were only 2, both of which Jeff and I hadn't met. We told him his ex did not count and is not dateable again. The Guy has something for him still, but Jeff says he is not good enough for him and I agreed. We talked about good food places- things like cookies and chocolate. We talked about how THe Guy will throw something out like the Claim Jumper chocolate cake after he eats a slice of it, then dig it out of the trash. The Guy has no problem digging anything out of the trash- except for the dumpster. Then Jeff and I made fun of him and how he would be The Guy in the dumpster in the condo complex, legs in, trying to dig the cake out. The Guy laughed, but said no.

The Guy said he wanted to nap and Jeff and I made fun of him for that, talked about how his dog was anti-nap because he was up running around, so nobody needed a nap. The Guy said he did. I got up to go the bathroom and get ready to go. Jeff and I left about 6:30.

I came home and chatted with The Guy for a few minutes on IM. He was thanking me for the day, wanting to be sure I got home safely, and told me he was going to read Harry Potter Book 6 tonight. He also wanted to thank me for the myspace comments I left him- the Outside and Fukitol pics shown on The Masks We Wear's blog. The Guy found them hilarious.

3 comments:

Aek said...

Hey! I'm glad you liked those pics. :P Btw, my vote is for set 2 or 5.

dan said...

i have alway wanted a sleigh bed and someday shall...
however, bed 2 defnitely like. and I also like your "kid" bed 4, but i'd worry about hitting the corners at the end at night. but it ain't bad. number five is too fancy shmancy for my taste, but if you like it, all good. good luck , keep looking out there

dan said...

i have alway wanted a sleigh bed and someday shall...
however, bed 2 defnitely like. and I also like your "kid" bed 4, but i'd worry about hitting the corners at the end at night. but it ain't bad. number five is too fancy shmancy for my taste, but if you like it, all good. good luck , keep looking out there