Friday, May 6, 2011

Blake Shelton and his anti-gay remarks

I can't stand this guy. I can't stand his humor, personality, and this just goes to further that.

Blake Shelton's Homophobic Tweet Advocates Violence Against Gays? Star Apologizes

UPDATE II: Shelton has now formally apologized over Twitter, sending out a series of messages about the incident:

Hey y'all allow me to seriously apologize for the misunderstanding with the whole re-write on the Shania song last night...
It honestly wasn't even meant that way... I now know that their are people out there waiting to jump at everything I say on here or anywhere
But when it comes to gay/lesbian rights or just feelings... I love everybody. So go look for a real villain and leave me out of it!!!
@glaad hey I want my fans and @nbcthevoice fans to know that anti-gay and lesbian violence is unacceptable!!!!! Help me!!!! And DM me...
He sent out a number of other tweets of the same nature; click over to his Twitter to see them all.
____

UPDATE: Gay-rights advocacy group GLAAD has called on Shelton to apologize for the initial tweet; the organization sent the singer a tweet, saying, "No, @BlakeShelton - violent, anti-gay statements are not what a woman wants. Apologize now. #LGBT #gay #thevoice @NBCTheVoice"
_____

PREVIOUSLY:

For the second time in a month, Blake Shelton has made a comment seemingly derisive of gay men, with his newest remark seeming to advocate homophobia and violence against gays.

The massive country music star, and now judge on NBC's new smash hit singing competition "The Voice," sent out a tweet last night that read:

Re-writing my fav Shania Twain song.. Any man that tries Touching my behind He's gonna be a beaten, bleedin', heaving kind of guy...
Shelton, hearing comments about his perceived homophobia, later tweeted:

"Ba! Ha! Reading all my anti-gay hate tweets.... Ha! Ha! If people only knew even a little about me, my family and friends. Dumb asses..."
ADVERTISEMENT

Then, he tried to clarify further, tweeting:

“@becchez: Please make it right! I want 2 like u again.” Ha! Ok try this. Its meant to be from a girls point of view.. Thus, "Shania Twain"
Still, it's not the first time Shelton has gotten himself in hot water. Back in April, Shelton made insensitive remarks while presenting at the Country Music Awards in an exchange with co-presenter, Reba McEntire.

Speaking of Taylor Swift, McEntire said, "She writes songs about guys who break up with her, which I don’t understand in the first place. She’s beautiful, she’s talented, she’s sweet. What in the world was Jake Gyllenhaal thinking?”

Shelton's response: “Wait a minute… He was in 'Brokeback Mountain!'”

"Brokeback Mountain," of course, is the film in which Gyllenhaal famously played a gay cowboy alongside Heath Ledger.

1 comment:

Phunk Factor said...

Wow! I had no idea about all of this...i had no idea about him before 'The Voice' although i'm a huge fan of his fiancée Miranda Lambert!