Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Humiliated by the bank and more

SUNDAY
- Met Mike at 1. I had told him I'd be over in about 2 hours at 10am, but with Linda showing up at my house, my dad needing help moving bookcases, and my mom needing assistance with my wireless card 12pm didn't happen.
- When I got to his house he was in the garage putting precut boards together that he wanted to use as planters. He did the assembly and then we went out to the backyard and stained them. I just turned the boards over as he applied the stain.
- Decide to do lunch after. We go out to Palm Springs. Stop at Best Buy first for a soundbar, which I decide is a good idea to get one for my dad for Father's Day. It was sold out at Best Buy and most in the area, but thanks to our iPhones we found it at Target.
- Pick up his boss at his house and show his boss the iPad and realtor.com app.
- They chat about all of their frequent flier miles and things I can't really add about in the conversation
- At the restaurant, our favorite seafood restaurant, we have the shrimp quesadillas, mussels, ceviche, and drinks. They chat about more flier miles, their dislike for any airline other than Continental, and bad airline food.
- We go back to his boss' house and chat about cars, Palm Springs, and what there is to do there
-Stop at Target near Mike's house on the way home to get the soundbar. He bought one and I did. I am in line to purchase mine after him. It was $179. I run my check card using debit and it is declined, though I know there are sufficient funds in the account. I ask that it be ran credit and it is declined. I then try my credit card, which is also declined. Mike just smiled and said "next time."
- I told him how upset I was because there was money in the account, it is not as if I never shop at Target, and $200 at Target is not out of the ordinary for me. I told him how much was in my bank account, which was about $900. I think he was a little shocked how little was in the account because he's loaded with money. I felt very inadequate.
- We go back to his house and start watching all the drama on "Real Housewives of Orange County". I am on Jeanna's side for those keeping score. Why does she have the right to talk about Simon? I don't know. I just like her- I don't like Tamara. Mike didn't understand that argument.
- Get a call halfway through the show from my dad saying Visa Fraud Protection was trying to call our house and he didn't know the information to take the call.
- Mike scares me several times in the evening as I am leaving the bathroom once, another I'm laying on the couch about to get up to use the bathroom, and he crawled in and snuck up behind me, then let out a yell. I screamed. I chased him after the bathroom incident. He tried to scare me on the way to bed, but I knew he was up to something, and was, he hid in the laundry room, but I knew that as the lights were out and he was walking ahead of me. I was folding my blanket on the couch.
- We end up fooling around, jacking each other off, making out, and biting my lip... he bit hard and didn't realize it!
- Watched 2 1/2 Men... bad show...
- Fell asleep about 12:30

MONDAY
- Up at 7:00
- Shower
- Call FUCKING ALTURA CREDIT UNION to deal with my card issue
- Altura fucking pisses me off. Do you know why my card was declined? It is based on the average amount I spend each time, and my average is a little lower than $200 usually. Secondly, the amount Altura lets you withdraw from your account is $500 total in debit per day and the amount you are allowed to withdraw via the credit on your check card is also averaged. UM... WHAT THE FUCK? I WANT ACCESS TO MY FUCKING MONEY IF IT IS IN MY ACCOUNT. Mike was taken aback, and he was not surprised, yet surprised. He encouraged me to go to Bank of AMerica.
- He knows my issues with BOA, but I think it is worth it.
- Go to Target to buy the soundstick after speaking to the fucktard at Altura, after they swore up and down the card would work.
- It was declined. I get on the phone right there in the store, call them up, and they give me so much BS. Of course I have access to all of my money, if I had made this purchase in the city I live in I wouldn't have had this issue (hello, I was only 20 miles from home), this is just their natural fraud protection. Um... bitch on the phone/Altura... you humiliated me in front of my boyfriend last night, but after it was promised that there would be no issue, and there still was, I have a problem, then to have to run the transaction 4-5 more times because of your damn system it go to be VERY embarrassing.
- Transaction finally complete and the girl helping us/Mike both took pity on me.
- Came back to Mike's and he recommended the checking account he has that as long as you keep $1,500 in your account at all times, you are OK. I asked him how practical that was for me, and even when I have a job the chances of that are probably going to be pretty hard.
- Look at Wells Fargo/Bank of America choices. I will not go to Chase.
- Play around on our iPads
- He had a call at 11:30 he had to take and I just hung around playing my iPad
- We watch the documentary "Food Inc." about all of the pesticides and other things in our food. This was one of the movies that made Mike go vegetarian.
- I suggest I needed a good steak after watching the movie, and honestly one sounded good.
- I said I'd cook if we wanted to go get food
- We go to Big Lots and Food 4 Less where we find a whole lot of nothing and the fish there didn't inspire me
- We talk about going to a vegetarian restaurant we'd never been to, but then decide on just going to Fresh and Easy, getting fish, stuff to make a side dish, and bread. We instead get soup and bread. We do get the fish, but we decide on the squash soup and bread for dinner.
- Back at his place we put the groceries away, heat the soup and bread, then enjoy a few glasses of wine
- We watch Real Housewives of NJ
- Bed about 10:30
- We both wake up several times during the night and say a few garbled words to each other each time

TUESDAY
- Up at 7
- Shower
- I tell him my plans to go to Bank of America
- Go to my credit union and get even more upset at the new charges they are throwing at me
- Visit Bank of America to see about checking options and hear even more about the issues people have there as a few customers are bitching about issues they have had
- Go home and meet up with the family and see all the fucking bookcases my parents put up... I loathe bookcases. They're so restricting and enclosing.
- Man is here rewiring the house, but found it was just a stretch of wire acting up in the bathroom, so no complete rewire
- Going to go to Bank of America later and open my account

COOL IPOD/IPAD/IPHONE TRICK I FOUND AND SHOWED MIKE...
As a part of the WWDC, Apple released push for apps meaning that when you download an app from your computer or iPhone/iPad the purchases will transfer onto the different devices. To activate that, go to settings, then click on store, then click "on" for music and "on" for apps to have the notifications show up automatically without having to plug in your device to the computer.

6 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: I use DiscoverBank along with a local bank for most of my banking needs. DiscoverBank is an online-only bank, they pay a pretty good interest rate and you can pretty much do everything electronically. If you need to deposit funds, you mail in your checks. I have not used their debit cards so I don't know what physical sites and ATMs would be available to you, but you can always write a check if you need cash.

Also you shouldn't compare your financial situations with OM; you are just starting out and he has an established career and big head start.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bruce said...

I love BofA. (Full disclosure, I worked there for 15 years.) Their online banking is fantastic and I really like their new iPad app. I even kept my accounts there when I went to work at different bank.

Joe said...

Mike, my bank did this to me a few times. The first time was at a Wendy's. I ate there once a week with my coworkers, and they declined my charge because of "suspicious activity." Once I talked to them though, they apologize, and it really was a computer error that alerted them. From then on, if anything was unusual, they called my cell phone after the purchase was made. They freaked out once because I used my card in New Orleans (only an hour and a half away from me then), but since that first time at Wendy's they have never declined my card with out speaking to me first. I once did have fraudulent activity on my card, and the bank refunded me all of the money from the fraudulent withdrawals immediately after they were notified. My bank seems to have figured it out, though obviously a lot of them out there haven't.

Mike said...

@ Bruce: I am now a member of B of A. I have the iPhone and iPad app. The iPad app isn't as sleek in my opinion as the iPhone one. I did use my card in Los Angeles and Fontana this weekend, and so far everything is swell.

@ Joe Blow: Altura went so far as to tell me they would not call my cell phone first because if there were fraud chances are my cell phone would be in my purse with my wallet. I informed the lady I did not have a purse, but if I am out and about my cell phone is where the first call should be as I don't want my card/money tied up any longer than it has to be.

Anonymous said...

.