Thursday, October 11, 2007

I'm a money whore

I have a new coworker. I had a say in hiring her. Since I got to help in that, I went through her myspace and facebook- she had neither. In the interview she seemed like a nice girl. She is taking difficult classes and seemed smart. Looks- none at all. She started work on Monday. She added me to her facebook on Monday. Her name is Trish.

I thought she would be a nice addition, but I already don't like her. Monday she was alright- she was learning the ropes. She was avoiding me and I later found out because she doesn't like guys except for her boyfriend. Her boyfriend apparently looks gay (and her NEW facebook account) confirms it. Anyways, she told Gonzo she didn't like other guys because she thinks all of them are out to steal her boyfriend... shouldn't she be worried about other girls? Oh well... that's not what I want to talk about.

Tuesday there was a guest speaker from a college in Pennsylvania. Trish is in college and has attended 3 college, so why was she dominating the questioning session where the students should have beeen asking the questions? She was asking things like "I don't play a sport, but tell me about your sports teams." Gee, if you don't play sports, why are you interested? Another question was "if I go to your college and I getting a scholarship?" Ok, that's a little bit of stupidity on her end and showing her foolishness. Maybe she was just trying to kiss up to the coordinator though, and I think that's what it was.

The coordinator is a big e-mailer and anytime she has something to say, she does it through e-mail. She sent out one for a t-shirt design for our program. The girl responded and had to respond by fowarding the e-mail to everyone. She said in the e-mail that she thinks she should take this on as her project (though the shirts have been designed) and she said that she knows the right people to help her out and we're just amateurs.

The coordinator also sent an e-mail out 2 weeks ago about us tutors getting paid to help out with a meeting on Monday night. Sounds good, right? Yes. Well, Trish had to respond to this e-mail and did so in a way just to tick me off and belittle everyone else, including myself. She said "Mrs. C, I would love to volunteer to work on Monday night. I see how this is urgently needed. Do not worry about paying me. I will volunteer. All the other tutors are money hungry whores." EXCUSE ME? The coordinator offered to pay us. Do you really want to use the words money hungry whore around your boss? Do you really need to send out this mass e-mail and belittle everyone other than yourself?

Oh well, overall I'm good and can care less. I know when to kiss up and how to. Obviously she doesn't know how to. I kiss up by saying, "I'd love to work at the meeting," or "I would be more than willing to do this or that;" and "I think this is a good idea, but I think this would be better."

2 comments:

J.R. said...

She sounds mental. Belittling your coworkers is not a way to kiss up -- you'll only sour the opinion your boss holds of you... Gee, this is obvious. What's her problem?

And there's nothing wrong with expecting to be paid for working; I've never understood people who think otherwise. It's not necessarily noble to "volunteer." If someone's already offered to pay, then "volunteering" just makes things uncomfortable by putting them in a position where the have to insist on paying.

Nothing Golden Stays

Bruce said...

Wait...did she actually say "money hungry whores" in the email and then copy the "money hungry whores" on the email? Has she ever worked with other people? You have to have at least a few coworkers who are willing to go to bat for you if something comes up. Kissing up to the boss by putting down ALL of your coworkers is terrible. She won't last 2 months.