Monday, October 1, 2007

Dropping huge hints...

I have said before the first person I come out to will probably be Gonzo, my coworker. I decided to drop several hints today to her... I said I did something over the weekend, which I didn't do, but I wanted to test the waters to make sure it was ok with her and her reaction would be fine.

I told her I went to a gay club with my friend Steve and another friend who is gay. The gay friend said I was cute at the club. The gay friend I was referring to is a friend of Steve and mine in real life and is into the club scene Then Gonzo chimed in with how she has always wanted to go to a gay club, so I said we should go. She said that she has heard they are a lot of fun, so I said we should go this weekend. She wants to go with our coworker Darla though, who can't stay out past 10:30. Ugh.

She asked what I did there, what it was like, etc. Thankfully I've seen pics of the club etc. online I was talking about, so I described what I saw from some of the pics. She said that was really hot. She wants to go with me and without her boyfriend. She said she may even invite her friend Addison, who is gay.

Then I talked about some of the little things. She asked if I danced. I said I danced with a lot of guys. I said that I was told by a couple guys, including our gay friend that I was flirty and I was flirting with everyone. Her response to everything I said was, that's hot, that's cool, how fun, stuff like that. She even asked if I got any phone numbers. I said unfortunately no. her response to everything was totally positive.

I was texting a fellow blogger at the time all of this was going down, partly because I told him this past weekend I wanted to come out to Gonzo. Gonzo asked who I was texting and I said the guy I'm going to the club with again. She said that was hot and she hopes I have a great time.

It was getting soooooo good and I was about to say that I had dropped all these hints, are you suspecting anything, or something to that effect, but our coworker Darla just came and I didn't want Darla in on it yet. Gonzo did continue the conversation about going to a gay club and asked Darla if she would go. Darla said she wants to and it would be fun, but would have to wait until her parents are out of town.

I swear, next time I have a nice chunk of time alone with Gonzo, I'm going to tell her. I thought I had the perfect time today because we were just in a room alone grading notebooks all day, until Darla showed up.

Later in the day we were in the elevator and somehow Gonzo and I were talking about relationships. Maybe it was she was talking about her and her boyfriend's 3 year anniversary coming up. I said "I don't know why my relationships with women have always been so short." She said she thinks I need to lower my standards because I am obviously too picky. I said I don't think I have a hard time with commitments and stuff like that. She said for me to lower my standards. Then I said "maybe I need to explore other....." and the elevator door opened and the counselor who we work with on a daily basis was standing there. That ended it.

8 comments:

Big Lost Guy said...

I think it is the one of the best things I have done.It is great to be able to go to work and be open and true.

They support me each step of the way as I go thru this coming out process and even help outside of work. You never know what other doors that may open.

Closeted said...

I think she may already know, cause those hints weren't to subtle...haha.

Matt in Argyle said...

haha, I totally have a post half written right now about the 'subtle' art of dropping hints. However I must agree with Closeted, that was about as subtle as a brick through a window!

JBGBC said...

Good Luck! Apparently it appears that she may already know or is at least very supportive so you should have nothing to worry about.

J.R. said...

Yeah, dude, those hints make things almost blatant -- she probably has a good idea now, so when you get the opportunity, don't hesitate. Nothing to fear.

Heh, Matt, I love your analogy -- spot on.

Nothing Golden Stays

dit said...

My relationships with women were always short lived, mainly because I was so really that interested. They would say "I am breaking up with you." I would respond, "Cool, when can you have your things out of my place?" lol

No, seriously, it will all get so much easier after you come out to the first person. Hang in there, come out at your own pace.

dan said...

that is hilarious.
I really want to remember and use the line..."maybe I need to explore other....." ha ha.
dude she HAS to know and/or woudn't care at all.
good luck and have a great week.
later.

Pete said...

Dude, consider yourself out! No need to say the word in this case.