Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I <3 work...

On Monday I helped train the coordinator on how to do a lot of the administrative stuff for our program. I was not looking forward to it because it was going to be a boring day, and yes, it was. The good parts were that I got 3 hours extra pay and that I got treated to lunch at Del Taco.

On Tuesday there was a kid I tutor who got an "A" on his math test. He failed math in 7th and 8th grade apparently, which made him a perfect candidate for our program cuz we can help him. Us tutors worked with him and 4 others who were taking the same math test. It was for Algebra 1 or something.

Anyways, yesterday his mom brought us tutors cookies to say thank you. They weren't homemade or anything, but it was the thought that counted. It really surprised me also and I thanked the lady. The woman goes to the gym I go to. She looks real arrogant and walks around with her nose a mile up in the air, her hair is cut real short almost like a guy. She looks like she could take any guy, or girl on and win. I had received several unfriendly stares from her at the gym in the past until she found out I was working with her son, then she would at least smile. It was just a nice affirmation that the woman really is nice, even if she doesn't look it, and it was nice to know that I helped the kid get an "A."

2 comments:

dit said...

How wonderful you help these kids. Glad the lady could rub out a smile for ya.

Anonymous said...

Such a nice boy you are. :) Funny how helping her son helped her smile too.