Monday, January 14, 2008

Made dinner

I love to cook and prior to this past quarter I would make dinner once a week or so. I hadn't made dinner in a while, so figured I would last night.

I had a lot of choices- chicken, top sirloin, hamburger were the meats I could deal with. I chose chicken. I wanted something quick, so I decided on baked chicken. It was good and had a lot of flavor. I used a flour coating with paprika, pepper, Lawry's seasoning sauce, and salt. I also opted to make rice with a can of cream of chicken soup stirred in as opposed to the must-have with chicken. That must have is mashed potatoes. The chicken was great and the flavor could be found throughout the chicken, not just on the skin. I also made corn.

No, my intent was not to make you salivate, but with that description, I don't know how I could have avoided that. My point is one of three things- I made something we don't usually have (the rice and the GOOD chicken). Second, my sister got mad and became defensive when I criticized my dad's chicken for lacking flavor (he just salts it, then bakes it). Third, she complained even before she tried anything I made how she will hate it. And she must have; she may have taken a bite out of the chicken and ate almost no rice, which is because I poured the soup in it. The chicken wasn't much different than usual, other than it had much needed spices. My sister also complained that the corn tasted like water. I put it in the microwave for 6 minutes with salt and butter like my dad does. I can't judge, but I can assume it turned out alright since nobody else had any complaints. Now it doesn't really bother me my sister didn't like my cooking because I wasn't cooking to please her and I'm not going to. It just annoys me that she does this.

My mom used the leftover chicken to make homemade chicken noodle soup. YUM!

I plan to do a lot more cooking in the near future; and a lot of it I don't plan on my sister liking. I'm thinking stuffed peppers and baked potatoes one night (she hates both), then maybe marinate the top sirloin another night and make steak tacos out of it (she doesn't like marinated food and doesn't like tacos or Mexican food).

2 comments:

Aek said...

That all sounds delicious. I love to cook too. How does your sister get away with complaining about food like that? In my house, she would've been told to shut up or cook something better.

Anyway, rice is my staple. And chicken is my favorite protein. You win. :P

B said...

Yum! I'm glad some people out there can cook because I sure can't!