Sunday, October 12, 2008

Redoing the house

WEEEE!!!! I feel like a little kid today getting all new stuff. Technically, it is stuff for the family, but it is new, and I'm excited. I know I've blogged MANY times before several months back how my mom is a packrat, her philosophy is to keep everything, we may use it again one of these days. Also keep everything for a really long time- there is no use getting something new if something works, so this is kind of exciting.

Well, since we're not getting a new house quite yet, or may just stay in this house we're going through and doing a massive update on the place. We got new hazlenut colored carpet put in yesterday (the carpet was forest green before), and that was a godsend. It forced us to take everything out of the house. EVERYTHING. That gave my dad and I time to throw away some things we will just never use that my mom thinks we will. Secondly, my mom is seeing how much junk there is and she relented and threw quite a bit out herself, too last night.

We got the bathroom completed yesterday. The painting project on it has been HELL to say the least.

But we got all new stuff today that makes a huge difference. We filled up the trunk completely on my little Nissan while we were out shopping. We bought a new medicine cabinet for the bathroom we have been redoing for the past few weeks, 2 new trash cans for both bathrooms, 4 rug runners for the hallway, master bath, and leading into the living room. My mom was hesitant to spend so much for the runners ($39 a piece); but I said mom, it is an investment because we're keeping the carpets clean and the red runner will look REALLY good. Dad will even like it. We also bought the light socket covers, a new laundry basket that is on wheels and matches everything. It can even fit in the hall closet, which is an advantage. My mom also cringed that it was $40, but I said well, this will make doing laundry so easy because the lights are in 1 section, the underwear in another, the darks in another. Smart little me was able to find a Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon on their website when I was at the checkout, I showed the lady I had it on my phone, she laughed and gave us 25% off on it.

We didn't get new towels for the bathroom. We want new oversized towels (30''x65'' at least). We want a rust color or light beige, but couldn't find any that would match. We also couldn't find a 32'' long white or beige towel bar. We need to keep that white or beige to keep so many colors from going on in the bathroom and looking bad.

Right now my mom is in her bathroom cleaning it out because my dad told her she can have new cabinets in there next month as an early Christmas gift. My dad said to throw out old curling irons, etc. and he would replace those too. What a nice guy.

Here's a look at our bathroom- before, during, and after...



...btw My dad hates the new color of the bathroom. He says it looks like someone was murdered red. It is Indian Mahogany, though. The white accents on it looks SHARP, especially the base boards and the new sink and toilet.

1 comment:

Aek said...

I think the color afterwards looks nice, especially with the white. I'm sometimes partial towards lighter colors though, so perhaps a peach-ish color would also look nice, haha.