Saturday, March 28, 2009

A final lunch meet

Every Friday at the high school we have a lunch get together with Martha, one of the teachers. Yesterday was our final day of tutoring. Martha first threw a cupcake party in her class to thank us. Then us tutors had to do the much hated activity she makes her kids do periodically for public speaking practice. She has 100 or so random prompts the kids have to respond to and speak for a minute about. I had to speak for 1 minute about the harmful effects of fashion shows. I did ok for about 40 seconds then ran out of things to say. I did have good eye contact and didn't use to many "ummms." That was fun and the kids were amused. I did pretty well- I got an 85/100. The other tutors got in the 70s. The kids usually get in the 50s. They have a hard time not using "ummms" and making eye contact.

About 15 minutes before class let out she asked Gonzo and I to go to Little Ceasars for pizza. We picked up 3 pizzas then went to Staters for 2 liter cokes. Then we made our way back to the school for lunch. Martha had ceviche for us to eat as well. It was good! We talked about random stuff. Viv saw the "hunk du jour" app on my iPhone that has a hot guy a day. Gonzo and I were sitting next to each other and both have iPhones, so she could have easily thought it was Gonzo's. Neil Patrick Harris was shirtless in one of the photos on my phone and she informed Gonzo he was gay and came out. Gonzo didn't believe it, and I didn't remember it. That led to a discussion about hot guys. Martha totally got into it too. She was yelling out "Adam Levine," "George Clooney," etc. Then Marci was saying guys like "Creed," "Josh Groban," and other guys who need nose jobs. It was quite amusing. Viv and I have a lot of the same tastes in guys- she likes guys who aren't overly muscular, maybe a little chest hair, and things like that. How was I totally comfortable in this conversation? I don't know... maybe Joe was there and he was naming random guys too. Maybe we were too wrapped up in everything to care about sexuality. We did talk about hot women- my female coworkers think Catherine Zeta Jones, Kate Blanchett, and Kate Winslett are hot. Um... I disagree on all 3. I said Jennifer Aniston, but they deemed she was a fake blond and slutty. I think she is classy, but what do I know? We all did agree that Angelina Jolie is not pretty or classy. They liked Drew Barrymore... she's ok. Lunch ended, but we all decided we need to go out as tutors/teachers more. Plans? The beach with the tutors, a Mexican Restaurant for Mexican Seafood with the teachers, Six Flags, and of course Tutor Aerobics! And do I think at least some of this will happen? Yes. We're a pretty close group now and Viv is the planner of the group and her persistence will definitely help.

After work Joe, Marci, and Viv didn't want to go home. They suggested Starbucks. 3 CDF firefighters were in Starbucks. Viv had to run in to check them out. She said she was checking out the firefighters. I said I don't blame her. Yes. I actually said that. She is called to the bar to get her drink and then heads outside to the patio where I meet her, Joe, and Marci. I really felt "In" when talking with them. I felt really comfortable with Joe I mean. I mentioned last Friday that Joe is really conservative/naive and that he seems like one who wants to branch out and try new things. So here's where the conversation really begins:

Marci: I always knew you, Mike, were the quiet, wild one.
Me: Really?
Viv: I would have never guessed, but I'm glad. We are so going to a club.
Marci: It is always the quiet ones.
Viv: We need to go to a Mexican club.
Me: Where's that?
Viv: Good ol' white boy Horsetown USA
Joe: I'll only go if Mike and Gonzo go. I really felt that connection with Joe there.
Viv: So you've never drank before Joe?
Joe: 3 times
Viv: Nice
Joe: But my parents don't drink. We've had one barbecue before with friends and only 1 person drank a beer, then we sent all the beer home with them.
Me: Sounds like my parents- don't drink and don't keep it around. Well, remember the whole Super Bowl thing where we hid it from my parents?
Joe: haha, yeah
Viv: That's so not the Mexican way.
Marci: All of my family gets drunk.
Viv: When my brother throws a party down in San Diego at his house next time we're all going.
Joe: I won't drink and drive, and I'll only go if Mike goes.
Viv: We'll stay the night. Everyone does. Everyone is passed out everywhere.
Viv: We are so going. Dinner at a seafood restaurant next Friday. A club soonafter.

I guess for me this whole thing felt like a breakthrough in my friendship with Joe. I guess he sees me as the one who is like him, I was quiet, shy, and whatnot; but I do get out, I have a million excuses, and I try new things (albeit I'm not advocating or praising anything I've done).

We all hugged, Joe and I shook hands as we left. We only were at Starbucks for about 40 minutes, but it was fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss Stater Bros. :(....:'(

Of course, um, that's good that you're connecting with Joe. Who's Joe? Did I miss a post somewhere? >_<