Sunday, August 29, 2010

Awesome administrator

Although I never wanted to have to go this route of doing traditional student teaching because you aren't paid, you assume all of the responsibilities of the regular classroom including discipline, lesson planning/writing, grading, and teaching, I start tomorrow regardless. I mean what other field do you work for free in during training?

Anyways, I'm relieved and thankful going into this tomorrow. After telling you about my difficulties in being placed I went in to the principal's office at the school I regularly substitute at Friday morning, and told him my difficulties. He said that was wrong about how the school tried to place me so far away. He said he would do anything needed to get me placed at the school. He asked for the phone number, and made several calls throughout the day. I am so thankful for that. I didn't get a chance to talk to him on Friday since he was in a meeting, he hasn't replied to his email this weekend, but I'm going to be sure to go in his office tomorrow morning and thank him personally because he didn't have to do that. This first stint is 8 weeks of student teaching at the middle school level.

After the next 8 weeks I have to go to the high school level, and will be putting in for that this week. Hopefully placement is easy, and I'm placed in a school that I would be content at. That makes the 8 weeks seem better.

5 comments:

Joey said...

It is somewhat odd to think we do all the work of a professional teacher without the pay.

I loved my time in student teaching. I learned more in those 18 weeks than in all my time in my master's program. I was blessed with two fantastic mentors who taught me the importance of reflection, patience, and the absolute love of children.

Take the time to learn all you can, and then take the time to love it!

And, remember, one of the best ways to get a job is to have someone see how awesome of a teacher you are becoming. It is even better when it is in a school you love. That's how I got my job at my middle school! I student taught there, then they hired me.

Have fun!

Aek said...

"I mean what other field do you work for free in during training?"

Well . . . the 3rd and 4th years of med school are basically training in the clinics and hospitals. You're expected to work and be productive. And more than doing work for free, we're paying to do that work. Bleh.

Anonymous said...

So you work for free for a number of months? What if you weren't able to live with parents, you'd starve to death and live in the cold? Wtf? Did I miss something?

Mike said...

JC: I'm hoping for the best! Thanks for the well wishes!

Aek: I guess that's true.

James: You're absolutely right. We have 2 aides at school who are the sole income providers in their families. They cannot afford to go back to school and teach for free for up to half the schoolyear, otherwise they would become teachers. There is one girl in my class who is putting off student teaching to save up several thousand for childcare. There is a teacher I work with who worked as a barista and server at a restaurant to stay afloat during her student teaching. I'm blessed to be in the situation I am, although I'm not looking forward to no paycheck.

Anonymous said...

:(

Then I buy coffee and or dinner the next time we go out. :)