Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Worn down

I am so exhausted today. It was busy, which I like, but it was crazy. Let me explain.

I wake up at 6, am at work by 7, and teach until nearly 3pm. I had a crazy day. I was subbing for Mal. Lots of work!!! Mal is teaching 5 different classes. Yes, 5. Every period was transitioning to something different. I was worn out by lunch. Then add to that Mal teaches 7th graders. I haven't yet met all of the 7th graders, so I had extra pressure to be strict and tough with the students because the first time makes an impression, and I don't want to come off too nice. Oh, then add to the day that I feel like I spent half the day on the phone as I was getting call after call that this student or that student had to go for some sort of testing.

After school I had 2 job interviews. The first was at my alma mater, the high school I graduated from and the continuation school in the district. I had to rush for that. I feel it went extremely well, and the man I interviewed with confirmed that I did great (thanks Joey!). I got a call a few hours later that had I even had my first 8 weeks of student teaching done I probably would have had a second round interview for any of those jobs. The man I interviewed with said he knows my classroom functions well, but the student teaching is something the district is big about, and I don't have that. I thanked him for being so candid and truthful with me.

I also got a call from my college financial aid office needing me to go online and fill out some loan papers. Still need to do that tonight- it's 8:30p.m. already. Oh, and then I got another call from my college. I am supposed to start student teaching on Monday. The problem is the college refuses to place me in the district I sub in, or the district I live in, or anything between. Their reason is they don't work those school districts in placing student teachers. So where do they want to place me? Montebello. Montebello is ridiculous. Montebello is 50-60 miles west of me. The school they want to place me at specifically is 61.1 miles from my house. HELL NO. I politely informed the coordinator of student teachers I will not go there and to find elsewhere for me. It would be a 120 mile trip. In traffic it could take 2 hours to get there- google maps says 2 hours and 20 minutes in traffic. I know there are other options and I'm being taken for a ride. I am not paid for student teaching. I am a college student- I don't have the money for that. It is not my fault the college waited until the last minute- we're saying 3-4 days before it starts to place me. If I am not placed in time/can't complete my student teaching in time I am placing the blame on them. I put my paperwork in on May 26. They had the entire summer. What's more is I know student teachers from my college placed into the district I live in.

And lastly, but definitely not least , I want to thank Joey soooooo much for helping me with my responses to teacher interview questions. I asked him to help me out with my responses I had for teacher interviews. I wanted some guidance. I had asked my parents, and that was helpful, but in all honesty Joey is younger, probably has more administrator like thinking, and is more familiar with big buzz words. He really helped me organize my thoughts and just rattle them off for each point I wanted to hit. Thanks sooooo much!!! You are awesome!!! I hope I didn't bother you too much!!!

3 comments:

Aek said...

Wow, best of luck with everything! And I hope they do give you a student teaching placement not so far away, that's just ridiculous!

Phunk Factor said...

I second Aek! What were they thinking?!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the trusty, rusty wheels of the administration of the southern Californian school systems. I'm sure no one would have predicted them to screw up on something like this. *sarcasm*

On the other hand, perhaps they deserve a break. So many people have been cut in education at all levels, it's amazing they even held on to your paperwork.