Friday, August 6, 2010

My mom's care for her students

My mom amazes me. Every year she has students who hug her, tell her how much they'll miss her, and want to stay in contact with her. Every year she has several students return and tell her how much they miss her, all they learned in her class (although the students actually really dislike her at her new school). It was such a blow to the students, teachers, and community after my mom was transferred last year because students came back this past year looking for my mom, as did some parents even, in an area where there is not a lot of parental involvement.

So now that you know that this just struck me as so touching today.

My mom got an email from a student she had 3 years ago, who now lives 30 miles away in a different school district. The student knew my mom was no longer at her old school, but hoped her email still worked. He emailed my mom to tell her that his mom had died and how much my mom was like a mother figure to him in class, that he was not coping well, and now must take care of his brothers and sisters by himself. The student was really at a loss, unsure about money and other things like that. My mom got on the phone with her district, and even though the student is no longer in the district was able to get the student and his brothers and sisters temporary aid, as well as counseling. My mom also got her student's new address and drove 30 miles out of her way to bring him and his brothers and sisters KFC and groceries. She gave our home phone number and said if there was anything he needed to call her.

I just wonder will I ever be able to be like that and make the same connection and have the same impact with my students that my mom has?

9 comments:

Joey said...

That kind of connection with our students is exactly what teaching is all about. One thing I have always told my students is that if they EVER need anything to call me. Yes, I give my number to students every year. Taking care of our kids is what it is all about.

Your mom is awesome for taking time to help out this student and his family.

Phunk Factor said...

Oh wow!! Yeah...ur mum is awesome indeed!! Wen somebody has the passion fr teaching...they automatically hav the passion fr students....n the students love bak!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing compassion for so many reasons.

Mind Of Mine said...

I thought of JC when I read this post and like JC, I think your mother is a modern day hero.

Aaron said...

In Australia, if a teacher does that, the teacher can be prosecuted by the law. It's really sad.

Just said...

you have one great role model to follow ... no doubt .... sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree awesome...

SCalRF said...

Wow, what an amazing thing to do! That level of caring is the sign of a truly great teacher.

Dean Grey said...

Both my mom and my aunt are school teachers.

Your mother sounds like an amazing woman!

-Dean

Aek said...

That was touching indeed. I think you may have your moment too. :-)