Saturday, January 29, 2011

My sister's first week as a professor

Last Saturday: My sister broke a tooth that she never got repaired and it got infected. My sister was so sick she could barely lift her head off the pillow. My mom forced her to go to Kaiser. Sister threw a huge fit. When she got to Kaiser she told my mom to get lost. Lots of ruffled feathers. All my mom said was she had to feel better before Monday.

Sunday: Sister was still really sick. She realized she had to dress like a professor or something on Sunday. She suddenly needed makeup. My sister, who doesn't wear makeup, demanded my mom take her out to get makeup. They spent $60.

About 10pm Sunday night my sister decided she should write her syllabus. (Insert your favorite, Christian swear word here like crap bucket). So she was up swearing like a Christian sailor in an effort to create her syllabus. About 11:30 she sends it to the printer. She decides she is going to print from our little inkjet with a duty cycle of about 150 pages. Nope. Mom yelled at her for that. She said she was going to go to school and photocopy early in the morning. She has had all week and weekend.

6am Monday morning:
My dad woke my sister up. She went in to the bathroom, and demanded my mom, who was already running late put on her makeup. Sister got home at 10p.m. and she had nothing but great things to say about how good she is as a professor.

6am Wednesday morning: Sister gets up and again demands my mom do her makeup. My mom throws a fit my sister is going to have to learn one of these days. Soon. 6:10a.m. she is back in bed. Sister teaches an 8:30a.m. class I think. At 6:50 as I'm leaving for work I see there is a fatal accident on the 91 at the 15, an accident at Pierce, and an accident at the 71. I know the 91 is already bad. Typically it would take about an hour at least in morning traffic to drive from my house to my sister's college. I knew a fatal accident would make it worse. I woke my sister up and told her to get going. She called me an idiot, told me to go away, and she's good at watching the clock, she will get there on time. At 8:25 sister left a crying voicemail on my phone about how late for school she was. Poor brat.

Thursday night: All my sister could talk about was how she has so much work and she has so much more work than everyone else now that she is a professor. I reminded her she was not.

My mom and Linda went out Thursday night. My sister made my mom get a twitter account to follow her now that she has an iPhone. My mom was displeased and spoke to my sister earlier in the week about her language/the things she discloses on twitter. Sister wrote something about how her students are so dumb. Linda was flabbergasted about what my sister said, and all my mom could say was I told her about her language.

6a.m. Friday morning: Sis is up demanding mommy dearest does her makeup. And of course my sister gets her first email with an excuse symbolizing she is a professor.

3 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: Some people just have to learn the hard way. Your sister strikes me as that kind of person. She is rude and obnoxious and already treats her students with disdain -- I can foresee quite a fall down to earth from her professor's perch if she doesn't take this teaching job seriously and start acting professionally besides the cosmetic outward appearance.

Aek said...

Your sister makes my head hurt, ugh.

First, it takes all of (at most) a couple hours to draft a syllabus - especially considering how so many syllabi are so poorly written. Second, she shouldn't have that much work as a TA/GSI unless she teaches a class that has a lot of required homework/essays that she has to grade (in which case, sucks to be her).

And most importantly, she sounds very unprofessional. That peeves me to no end. Say what you want about your students in the privacy of your own space, but not online in a public sphere such as Twitter.

::smacks::

Phunk Factor said...

Is there some obedience school fr unruly females?

Consider giving urslf a late birthday present and send her there! ;)