Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Nordstroms shopping trip on The Guy

The Guy gave me a $50 gift certificate a few months back for pet sitting I did at the end of August. I went to use the gift card the other day at Express and it was declined. I was a little surprised since he said there was $50, but when the clerk called discovered only $0.23 was on the card. I was a little upset; not about that, but about other things, so I called him to tell him and acted like it wasn't a big deal. He felt really bad for the embarrassment it caused me. It wasn't a big deal. He said that he actually didn't mind because this was an excuse for us to go shopping together. We settled on Tuesday at Nordstroms- I'd take a short study break to visit with him.

I texted The Guy twice asking him if 2:30 was still a go. He said yes, though he was running late. That gave me time to run to the bank. I get to his house at 3:05 and he is on the phone with his mom trying to help her find something on the computer. When he is off the phone he asks if it is ok if we run to the "DP" for a few minutes. The DP is the dog park. We put the dog in the back of his car and we're off. I had never been. We get in the car and drive over talking about our day. He told me he had a breakdown Tuesday morning. He was crying over prop 8, feeling so sick, so violated, and so worried McCain would win. He also told me about his colon cleaning. At the DP there is a poodle, a couple dogs from the pound I guess, and a group of older people with their snobby looking dogs. Haha.... snobby dogs? lol. Anyways, his dog was growling at a collie and a couple other dogs there. The Guy had to interfere. We stopped and talked to a guy with a poodle sitting on a bench, then played with the little dog from the pound as we watched his dog. The ridges on the dog's back were all up and he was acting really strange, so we leave after about 10 minutes. There are 2 hot boys- 1 of them from The Guy's gym as we took off.

We drop the dog off and get the $400 in gift certificates to Nordstroms that The Guy's mom gave to him and $60 in Nordstroms bucks. We drive over and then talk about how we both have so much studying to do. The Guy jokes that since I have a tendency to be declined that he should give me his Nordstroms bucks since they've been declined. I playfully hit him. As we approach the men's department, The Guy says he already found something he liked. It was a $100 Hugo Boss blue pullover. He tries it on and it fits great on his mesomorph figure. It didn't make him look fat and he talked about how he felt really good today about his weight and feeling fit, not fat. I said that was the truth. He looks great, really. Then he found a black Hugo Boss long sleeve shirt behind it, which also looked hot. The Guy tells me to try on beige khaki pants, which was what I was trying to buy at Express. I found a 30x32 and 31x32 that the employee helping us recommended. Both didn't work. Both were too small. The Guy told me I just give up too easily. I said I didn't think so- this guy went looking in the computer for me and told me they didn't even carry a 29x32 or 28x32. He said I should go look for more. I wound up over by the young men's shirts, like The Guy. He had already found 3 shirts- one was a blue and silver shirt that had a cross on it that looked REALLY sexy. He tried the shirt on and it was HOT HOT HOT. I gave him a big thumbs up from afar, a smile, and then when he came over said it looked HOT. It fit his body perfectly. It was only $100. The Guy ran back and forth from the dressing room asking me about everything like his polos (he got 2 LaCoste polos in dark blue and light blue). I found 3 shirts I liked that were over on the reduced rack... haha. They were cool though. I got a gray LaCoste polo for $60 that had a bigger alligator on the breast. I also got a couple random shirts with prints on them that looked really neat. I also got a brown pullover. All were $30 or less. I have a hard time spending that much on a t-shirt, but I got a little taken away being there with The Guy. My shirts in total were only $120. We go to the checkout and it is $499 for all of our stuff. We find out that the first 2 Hugo Boss things The Guy liked weren't in the total because they were still at the other register. Too bad we found that out when we got home. The Guy bragged about how he was getting so many clothes for so little- roughly 10 shirts for $1000... haha... I could do better. He talked about how this is stepping out for him and it felt uncomfortable- he always always always wears a black Ralph Lauren polo shirt and Nike basketball shorts. EVERYDAY. When he goes to work he wears blue 7s jeans and a black Ralph Lauren polo. He probably has 30 of those polos. NO JOKE. I've never seen him wear the stuff he tried on in the 2 years I've known him except on special occasions.

We go over to the shoe department and have a great guy who helps us. The Guy buys a blue pair of Pumas to match his yellow pair he just bought. He raved about the comfort. Then he said that he wanted to get some dress shoes. We spent probably 40 minutes looking at boots etc. I tried on 3 pairs of dress shoes. I really wanted a new pair because I have outgrown mine. I had been eyeing some Calvin Klein's online, but didn't buy them yet. The ones I liked or thought I liked at Nordstroms were between $99 and $375. I've never spent that on shoes, but I was going to. My dad had already given the OK to drop $150 or less on dress shoes earlier this month when I complained I needed a new pair, so I didn't feel as bad. I was unsuccessful. The Guy found a pair he wanted, the same pair I did for $375. I did feel really good though trying on the shoes. I am a size 13 in tennis shoes, but the dress shoes I tried on were a 10 1/2. NO JOKE. They were only $99, but looked like quaker shoes The Guy and I determined.

After getting the shoes I said we're going to Express so I can get my khaki pants I want. He said fine, but he is hungry. We talked and laughed. The more we walked he complained of his profuse hunger. We talked about like how sad the JCPenney store front looked, how The Guy shops at Nordstroms because it is quality. American Eagle clothes are trendy, but after 1 or 2 washings are floopy, which is why you shop at Nordstroms- quality. We get to Express and I find the pants immediately. He says he is hungry, so I need to focus on getting the pants and can't look at any thing else. I joke about needing a bright colored dress shirt and was completely serious, but food was on The Guy's mind. The Guy ATMs the pants, which were $88, then we left. I was going to pay for the pants, but he insisted that this was what I needed and wanted to get earlier, but it was his fuck up earlier, so he was paying. I wasn't complaining. As we're walking out I talk about my need and how I can't live without a really cool bright colored shirt; how I have the necessity to have material goods. He jokes about needing to simplify our lives. I said nope. Can't do. He asked if I wanted a shirt, and we'd go back in and get one. I said I was ok. Not. Ok, I was. Nope, I wasn't. Finally I said we could go. He said we'd go back and get one if I needed one. I said no- I can wait. We walk back through the mall talking about how much fun this was and how we've never done this before, how we need to do it again, eat beforehand, and how this was a new memory for us.

I talk about eating a lot of Mexican food lately and The Guy says we should go to Acapulco. We drive over there and are seated immediately. He tells me he got a text from Ben the other night as well as Matt, his ex. I told him he's doing everything right. He tells me about reading Maya Angelou's biography and how inspirational it was. We talk about how we both need to study, how school is killing us. Then we talk about the election. We look at cbsnews.com because it has a special iPhone interface. Obama had 70 electoral votes at the time and McCain had 30. We talked about how it would be such a landslide. We talked about tossup states and real close elections. I contributed that Indiana and Mississippi were very close and he didn't know that, so that was cool. We spent most of the rest of dinner talking about prop 8 and other things. The Guy was confident it wouldn't pass but I talked about my skepticism and gave reasons like what happened today that I'll blog about below. There was an awkward tension through the meal- it was probably The Guy not feeling well, election nerves, nerves about school for both of us, and stuff like that.

I pay for the meal and use my ATM card. Somewhere between the restaurant when we were walking out and I was fumbling to put my card away and my house I lost my wallet. Where? I don't know. I am assuming it was probably when I got in The Guy's car. I've called Acapulco and Bally's Fitness. Both haven't found it. So I talked to The Guy to make sure and then canceled my cards. Ick.

We get back to The Guy's place, I use the restroom, we look at the stuff we got, then I tell him to get some studying done and take off. I leave at 6p.m. and get home at 7, which is great for studying. I was sad I couldn't watch election coverage because I was busy studying for 3 midterms I had today. I had the TV on, but it was on mute.

I texted him about 8:30p.m. thanking him again and telling him we need to do that again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got a haircut today. The lady who cuts my hair is my mom's hairdresser and she is a Democrat. We always talk politics when I get my hair cut. The hairdresser voted McCain however. I didn't know she didn't like Obama- ok- I vaguely remember. She complained last time about his purple lips. My mom arrives a few minutes after. She complained how Obama hasn't said anything- only what people want to hear, but nothing new that no politician did. I agree with that. It wasn't until Hillary conceded he had anything to say; and then it was nothing new. She asked me who I voted for in front of my mom. My mom doesn't even know what I'm registered as. I hide it well. In a quiet voice in front of my mom and hairdresser when asked I say Obama. The hairdresser hits me in the head as a joke. I thought "oh. Oops."

My mom said she wasn't worried about the president because either one will have a really tough job and she thinks that since we have so many difficult issues we're more united than 4 or 8 years ago, so it wouldn't matter if McCain or Obama were elected. She thinks both sides would work together given the desperate times. My mom said she was worried about the propositions like 1A, 2, 4, and 8. My mom vehemently said she was against 8. The hairdresser agreed. Both said that the Bible is who they have to answer to and so that's why they are against it. The conversation between them went on and I sat in the room facing my mom because that's how I was positioned in the chair, with my eyes squinting (presumably because of all the hair in my eyes), but more-so, so that I wouldn't say something wrong or incriminating. My mom talked about the issue wasn't education because she's a teacher and knows homosexuality is not taught in schools. The hairdresser talked about how it is just wrong because of the Bible. Then my mom said that it concerns her. She doesn't want to see two married guys, two guys talking about their kids like that. I wanted to intervene and say something. My mom's hairdresser talked about how it is such a small portion of the population forcing their views upon each the majority. Homosexuals are only 3% of the population. Again, I could have interjected my thoughts. Then my mom talked about something she heard on PASTOR'S PERSPECTIVE ON KWAVE 107.9. All the pastors lately have been talking about the election and the importance of voting yes on 8. First, homosexuality is wrong. Second, we are in end times. Obama could have been the anti-Christ. Third, the anti-Christ is nearing. The Pastors say that the anti-Christ is going to be homosexual, therefore we need to stop that. The anti-Christ will probably be from somewhere in Rome, will be homosexual, and will have experienced a great defeat. The key thing is that he is homosexual, so that prop 8 passed is a good thing. I got my haircut and quickly left. I know and have heard that the anti-Christ will be either celibate or homosexual. It is not explicitly said, but as I recall is talked about by Daniel in the Bible. And maybe it is the case, but this is the reason you're voting yes on prop 8? Whatever...

5 comments:

Aek said...

Sigh, people are crazy. Where did all the rational people go?

Brent said...

OMG that is exactly how my parents talk and how I was raised. Just a bunch of crazy talk.

Anonymous said...

That was too real. I hate that squirmy feeling I get when ignorant people are talking about me (and don't know it, since I'm closeted). I'm sure it's what adds to my anxiety, but it reminds me that not everyone is ok with me I guess. I need to move.

Nice shopping spree. I'm too simple in my clothes. I miss the days when dressing and looking nice made me feel good. Now it's t-shirts and shorts most days.

Jay said...

love this blog :)

jay

Mind Of Mine said...

Yeh agreed love it