Sunday, November 23, 2008

Starbucks Date- Chris

I have been texting Chris back and forth since we met up that day at Starbucks. He would text me things like "I just spent the past 4 hours standing" to which I'd reply "ouch- at least it is lunch now and you have 30 minutes to SIT and relax." He'd respond with an "LOL" or something like that. Then Wednesday of this week we were going to meet up, but he had to work overtime and was not in good humor about it. He said for me to text him something funny. I told him a random blond joke. Then I had another bad groaner joke: "what type of insect loves money," or something to that effect. The answer was an account-ANT. Ok I figured after he replied to those... he can stand my humor. I also texted him saying that Lindsay Lohan was floured the other day by PETA. I said I just love that hot mess- not. So Wednesday didn't work out and with the family stuff going on with me Saturday worked better.

I texted him- notice I keep saying text- he only texts, but claims if I call he'd pick up. He hasn't yet. HAH I texted him this afternoon asking if he was still interested about 11:20 when I was out with The Guy. He texts back soon saying probably. We chat all afternoon via text about where to meet etc. etc. When I got home from my outing to Monterey Park I quickly type up my blog about last night with The Guy/family, text him several times, then hop in the shower. It is 6:15 when I leave and we're meeting at 6:30.

At 6:30p.m. right under the freeway down the street from The Guy's house there is an alcohol checkpoint. So it makes me late. I needed the full 10 minutes it takes to get from The Guy's to BJs. We meet at 6:35 and I tell him what happened. Well, I wait outside the restaurant. I text him only to find out he has the table I reserved and he is inside.

We get inside and he asks me how my day was, where I went, etc. etc. I told him and then he told me about his day and buying the new touchscreen Blackberry. He tells me how he shops at 3 different grocery stores, so grocery shopping is an all day thing. We talk about what we did this past week. I tell him about my classes and he tells me about work. I was hesitant to tell him about my dad and I just did because he said I seemed really bored when I texted him yesterday. I watered down the story though. I bring up how I know he takes the train to work and ask how that works like when he works late and is late. He said it doesn't matter because he works for the government they encourage him to ride mass transit. He told me about a birthday party he went to last night at the gay nightclub in the city I live in with a friend who goes to my school. Her name wasn't familiar. We talk about cooking and I tell him what I like to cook and he tells me the same. We talk about Thanksgiving and all of our responsibilities with who makes what. We talked about music- I talked about being at work the other day and having a student who was singing Womanizer as she walked in look that word up in the dictionary. We talked about Rihanna, that she was only 19, and things like that. They played a really old Toni Braxton song while we were in there and I was able to identify who it was, though I wanted to say Alliyah. He was surprised and told me he was shocked I knew that. HAH. We talk about food we've had at BJ's. He had chicken parmesan and I had a chicken barbecue sandwich that was very good and fell apart in the last few bites of the last half. That was unfortunate. Overall, the quality was very good. He asks if I want to see a movie afterward. I said sure and we talk about various movies. The only one I could think of was "Nick and Norah." He wasn't agreeable to that and I said "well, there is 'Twilight'"to which he said he wanted to see that. He said he heard bad things about it. I said I heard only good things because mainly it was girl-friends who were seeing it. Gonzo had already sent me half a dozen texts of how she was "SWOONING"- major emphasis on SWOONING over Edward Cullen. I told him what she said. Someone fainted in the restaurant while we were eating, so that was also a source of something to talk about.



The Toni Braxton Song I was able to ID in the restaurant. It won't let me embed.

We decide to leave the restaurant at 8p.m. and arrive at Ontario Mills 5 minutes later. He finds a parking space in the very first row in front of the theater where I have to park 7-8 rows away. That is no biggie. We meet outside of the theater and I see him again standing like I'm now beginning to picture him. Nicely dressed guy, 5'11'', Puerto Rican, his square glasses, tall and slim, left ear pierced, always holding his Blackberry in his hand, always wearing a long pea coat, and fitted jeans. He asked where I park and we buy our tickets. I run to the bathroom and he waits for me. When I come back he is sitting with his legs folded over looking at his Blackberry. Then we go in the theater and he is amazed by how large it is, how there are so few people there, and things like that. We sit in the middle about halfway up in the theater. We talk about phones, bad commercials, and random smalltalk I can't remember.

During the movie Chris sat with his hands like he was praying. I was moving mine all over trying to get comfortable. These seats weren't as comfortable as he thought. During the show when there was a funny or particularly bad part he would smile and chuckle, then mutter "oh no." I think we all laughed at pretty much the same points. It was scary in the baseball scene in the movie "Twilight" when the vampires were playing baseball because the theater went dark as the ball was being pitched toward the screen. The theater was silent, then a bunch of kids started laughing, then we asked what each other thought of the movie. He thought it was cheesy and there was bad acting. I agreed with the bad acting. I also commented on how the book was written where it seems like not a lot of dialogue is exchanged between the characters, everything is short and choppy coming from this teenage girl's mind. I am only about 80 pages into the book right now. A couple minutes later the manager comes in and tells us it will be about 10 minutes, so we sit and talk, while the teens in the theater run around and play. When the movie resumes it is over halfway over and I thought the story just went downhill. I wasn't impressed with the ending- I guess the story didn't seem convincing. Even though it is not a non-fiction story I like some believability, but for me, it was hard to find that balance. Maybe the book will be better. Maybe I'm just being a tough critic because Gonzo is insistent I read the book and I'm telling her how I don't want to. Plus my sister made fun of me when I asked her for the books because she is a cunt like that (that's The Guy's new name for her).

The movie ends and we talk about the delay for the new "Harry Potter" and how sad he is about that. Then he says that he had a good dinner, saw a good movie, and got a free movie, so he had a good night. I agreed it was a good night and thanked him. He said that he needed a hug and extended his long arms out and we hugged for a moment. I felt really weird doing it. Not weird in that it was anything against him, but being in a less accepting area where 2 guys embrace, plus a lot of teens around. Oh well. I'm glad we did hug because his hug just sort of warmed my spirits.

I texted him when I got back to The Guy's thanking him for the evening. He texts me back saying he loves my hugs and that I'm definitely a good hugger. I tell him to have a good night and sleep well at about 11:30.

3 comments:

Sam. I. Am. said...

a few weird observations:

Texting. In Ireland, you'd text someone before you'd call someone. Like phone calls are important. Texts are social! That's the reason the iPhone never took off here. Texting on it is like being hit in the face with a bag of rocks - it' uncomfortable and it's not going to end.

And Cunt. What a word. It just evokes such terrible imagery. Cunt. Cunt. Cunt.

Your sister must be some floozie. From what I've read, I wonder why she's living in the house still.

I hope things improve, and your dad gets better.

Sam.

Diary of a Mad Latino Man said...

Hey Mike!!! Cool blog, what do you think the end result is going to be. I am pushing for luck with you.

Hit me back!!!

Peyton

Anonymous said...

Yesssssssss! Glad you went and did stuff with him again. Good day, good day!