Wednesday, December 16, 2009

New classroom management technique

When the kids are getting loud and out of hand and don't eseem to espeak English or understand I mean business, I estart to espeak espanish.

I go off and say things like the following in no particular order. Sometimes I get ranty and use many of them, sometimes just a few lines:

"ninos! Qué estamos haciendo? Por que no es quieto?" - kids! what are we doing? Why is it not quiet?

"ayayayayay, ay chihuahua!" - Ay chihuahua!

"Mis oidos! Es muy fuerte!" - My ears! It's very loud!

"Ay chihuahua, no puedo concentrar. Que estamos haciendo? Yo sé si no puedo concentrar, están teniendo un tiempo difícil" - Ay chihuahua, I can't concentrate. What are we doing? I know if I can't concentrate, you are having a difficult time.

"Ninos! Malos ninos, porque estamos todavía hablando? Es mi derecha hablar, no suyas, silencio" - Kids, bad kids, why are we still talking? Its my turn to talk, not yours, silence.

"Estoy pagado a hablar, y tú, no. No habla." - I am paid to talk, and you, no. Don't talk.

"Ay, es como hay muchas chihuahuas en este cuarto" - Ay, its like there are a lot of chihuahuas en this room.

"Recuerdan, no me gusta chihuahuas" - Remember, I don't like chihuahuas.

I probably sound like one crazy gringo, but I try. One technique works one day, pero en otro, no.

This is my new technique this year. In prior years I liked to use my Spanish to listen in about all the putas (prostitutes) running around, the culos (asses), and other important inappropriate stuff and never let the kids pick up on what I knew. This year word got out I know Spanish quickly thanks to Linda.

I find that this only works with the 6th and 7th graders. The 8th graders are a different story, they don't care you are ranting and raving, and they want to test you. It does work wonders in quieting the kids down and that's all that matters to me.

2 comments:

Aek said...

That's . . . a very odd tactic. o_O

Anonymous said...

The word "chihuahua" seems to appear an inordinate amount of times, even when you're not referencing dogs. o.O

I like that, though, "I'm paid to talk, not you." :P