Sunday, January 24, 2010

Country/Mexican ties

Downloaded George Strait's new song "El Rey" the other day, which he did a great job on in my opinion, and the background instruments sound really authentic with the mariachi sound. Anyways, I knew I'd heard the song before by Los Tigres del Norte. I remember Karina in my Spanish class last year doing a report on the importance of Los Tigres del Norte, their importance to the term machismo, as well as la frontera, or the border. I remember she printed out lyrics for everyone. But anyways, I knew George Strait wasn't the original singer, so did some research and found multiple people who had performed it. I just knew GS didn't write this. I was thinking the verb conjugations and tenses that he used were for a pretty advanced Spanish speaker, so I had to find out, but still it stuck in my mind that I'd heard it before. I stumbled upon this great article about the fusion between country music and Mexican people that is occurring, as well as how George Strait came upon the song. Rhett Atkins, a country singer from the early 90s, as well as Leann Wommack are all possibly going to record some Spanish songs coming up on future albums. Can't wait to hear more...





No comments: