Friday, May 1, 2009

MAY DAY!!!

Talked to The Guy as he was driving home from work and he told me he had a couple hours free if I wanted to drive over to hang out with him.

I was about 10 minutes away from The Guy's house and getting food when I got a call from my mom's school.
Me: Hello, this is Mike
Mom's principal with great delight in his voice: Hi Mike, I just wanted to let you know your mom is being let go and I want to offer you a job.
Me: Oh................... (in my mind I'm thinking you're getting rid of her and bringing me in... think there wouldn't be any hurt on my end?)
Principal: Do you want a job?
Me (dumbfounded and a long pause): What is it?
Principal: Uh, subbing 2 days a week next year.
Me: Uh, ok.
Principal: Great! (phone hangs up)

I start to tremble, but call my mom immediately to see what was up. In my mind I'm thinking how employee confidentiality was breached, how that was such an unprofessional move on his end, and how at least my mom has a job. I was just thinking WOW, after 20 years at the school my mom is being transferred. She has 3 different credentials and can teach 3 different subjects. She has only taught home economics and technology, however. She is lucky home ec has lasted this long. I was thinking how fortunate she was it was only a transfer, or at least I was assuming (he used the words "let go"), how she is lucky to have been teaching 20 years when so many thousands of other teachers are being let go, whom I really feel for.

My mom's principal really is the dumbest thing you will meet.

So here's how the convo went with my mom.

Me: Hi.
Mom: Hi honey.
Me: Hi, what's going on?
Mom: I'm just here at school, inputting grades in the computer. It was a long day...
Me: Oh, ok. I'm going to go to The Guy's house.
Mom: How is he?
Me: He's doing pretty well.
Mom: You haven't hung out with him in a while and I'm glad to see you're hanging out with him.
Me: I know. Me too. I just wanted to let you know where I'll be.
Mom: Anything else?
Me: (sounding unsure) Well, I just got a call from your boss, (and by now I'm trembling), and you're being transferred.
Mom: Can you hold on, my boss is walking in?
Me: Sure.
Mom: (puts phone down)
I overhear what is being said on the phone and it couldn't have lasted more than a minute...
Boss with gleam in his voice: Hi, I just wanted you to know you're being transferred next year, effective immediately. I never had to worry, I was a social studies teacher.
Mom: Oh, well, thanks boss.
Boss: You're quite welcome.
Mom waits a few moments until boss exits
Mom: Well, I just heard it. I'm going to make an appointment with HR. Linda will be walking through my room and I can't tell her. I have to go.
Me: Ok.
Mom: Love you.
Me: Love you, bye.
(Read how un-compassionate this man is.)

I was on my way to get food for The Guy and I as a thank you for some favors I did for him last weekend. He was going to pay me back for the food. I get the food and I'm just thinking WOW. I was shocked. My mom has been there so long and she is leaving her best friends like Mrs. S, Mrs. C, C, S, R, and more. I contain myself while getting the food.

I thought of canceling on The Guy, but my mom was ok. She still has a job. She called me in fact a few minutes later to say she just heard a PE teacher who has been there 20 years; Linda who has been there 8 years, has a masters and can teach every subject, has been in the district 18 years; an ESL teacher who has been at the school 3 years, but in the district 8 years; a science teacher who has been in the district 6 years. All of these people are not in the in-crowd with the principal meaning young and busty. No joke. You might say this had nothing to do with it, but um, after you see who was left, who they picked, etc. The music teacher who has only a music credential and has been there only 16 years was kept. Let's just say, the teachers being transferred are the ones involved in every activity, etc., so the school is definitely at a loss. The math teacher, Mrs. C, next to my mom has been there the same amount of years as my mom, 3 degrees also, and is staying. The English teacher who has been at the school 25 years is staying. It was a really crazy mix of teachers they got. It really isn't about seniority, credentials, a teacher being more expensive than another in this case. You should see the criteria in my mom's district for giving out pink slips.

Thank God I just took my anxiety medicine before I left my house. I was able to be much more calm I think because of this.

I drive to The Guy's house and cry. This is all within 15 minutes of initially finding out. I compose myself and am able to walk in, but not speak. He asks me what's going on. I keep telling him give me a moment, but I had such a lump in my throat. He demands to know and asks 3-4 times. I tell him finally and he tells me and keeps reiterating how good it is that she has a job. I said yes, but how upset I was to be brought into the mix, how that seemed like backstabbing, stuff like that. We discuss it a little more when eating the food. We talk about how I deal with things differently than him. He gets pissed off and thinks about it. I hear something, I internalize it, I cry, and I get over it. My method is beyond him. We talk about what's going on in our lives other than that- school, random happenings, and things like that. He told me about all of the guys he is meeting. He is kind of seeing one in San Francisco. He is seeing a guy named Chandler who is a 22 year old college student at the community college. I'm hardly able to eat. I eat about half of my salmon and potatoes. I was just bothered. I really didn't want our afternoon to be like this. I wanted to talk about boys, sex, or whatever.

After, we put a movie on. We put "Dodgeball" on. The air conditioning place came because The Guy needed a new condenser. His house isn't cooling. We spent probably an hour talking about that, his trip to San Fran for his birthday, and Apple products. He debates on the $2,800, $3,900, or $5,000 model and finally decides on the most expensive one. I knew he would. He is having it put in tomorrow. He calls his credit card company who is sending him late notices because he wants to try to put the condenser on his card. He deals with that.

After the a/c guy leaves The Guy chats with some guy he met on realjock in London and they go on webcam together. The Guy says I'm there and we joke around and he acts like he is fucking me in the webcam, I pretended to suck him off, etc.

After, we go to FedEx for The Guy to pick up his new top of the line video card for his computer that FedEx has refused to deliver. He was heated and got upset again when he found out that FedEx didn't have the card, Apple said to send it back. We go outside and have a nice talk about guys we're seeing. I told him about Texting Hottie. We had a really good conversation and I felt like we really bonded, which was nice.

We go back to his place and I tell him about the CSET and ask him for his help on studying for it. He is dressing to go to Chandler's jazz band recital at 8, so he is printing the tickets and showering. In fact, in the car, he was buying his ticket via his iPhone and telling me to watch out, tell him when he was getting too close to another car, etc. We had another more or less heartfelt, friend type conversations that I enjoy so much with him just about the test and supporting each other.

I take off at 7:45 and come home to find out about the teachers from my mom and how my mom is not worried. She has an appointment Monday morning with HR about where she might be reassigned. Word traveled fast who was being transferred and all the teachers gathered after school to talk and support each other.

2 comments:

Aek said...

Wow that guy's an ass. You sometimes have to wonder what makes a person tick.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've seen a lot of morons in my life...this guy takes the cake. :/