Monday, March 21, 2011

Giving So Cali some love

Great weekend, as always!

Friday @ 11a.m.
- Met at Mike's
- he canceled his afternoon calls to meet with his new coworker who needed some training help
- we drive down to Laguna Beach
- walk to a ritzy hotel on the water for drinks
- we decide not to do lunch there since it was too unhip
- Mike drinks a bloody mary
- I order a sangria with fruit and his coworker follows
- she was such a sweetie - very well versed and knowledgeable, fun party type too
- Mike fills her in on company policies and procedures
- she paid for us since it was a company lunch/expense
- Mike informed me this is why I need to go to all of his business lunches... lol
- we go across the street to Watercress (I think that's the name) for a trendy lunch
- we share ahi tuna and watermelon skewers, and our respective salads
- I eat a warmed shrimp salad
- the business started here and Mike helped her with some database stuff
- sit there for a few hours while they work and she wanted to treat me to dessert for being soooo good
- she tries to help Mike and I find a hotel for a romantic weekend
- We decide on the hotel down the street from the restaurant
- go to the hotel about 3:30 and turn on the tv
- watch "Old Christine"
- we both fell asleep until about 6 cuddled, him holding me in his arms
- woke up and got ready
- Walked to a Belgian restaurant called Brussels Bistro
- the waiter from there was our water earlier who described every succulent dish with great detail
- I heard the descriptions of how he described a paella to a party a few tables away, turn around, take a look, take a second look, then tell Mike
- He laughs in amusement
- He asks our waiter if was the same guy worked at the restaurant we were at earlier- he said yes
- walk all around Laguna and walk along the beach - lots of talk about cupcakes, good foods, and family
- go to the movies to see the mediocre "PAUL"
- out of the movies about midnight - walk along the streets back to hotel
- we both make out and more ensues... we were both very horny

SATURDAY
- woke up about 9
- went to the bakery down the street for disappointing scones
- go back to hotel and head out
- we drive down PCH to Dana Point
- see Mike's favorite restaurant on the water in Dana Point
- Continue driving on the 5 south past San Onofre and we give our assessments to each other about the state of the nuclear plant, earthquakes, and the ocean
- before we know it we are in San Diego - he asks me where I frequent in SD and I tell him (Hillcrest, Fashion Valley, Mission Valley, etc.)
- We go to Coronado Island - I had never been and Mike was surprised
- Walk around Hotel Del Coronado and get a drink in the bar
- I have a Red Trailer Ale or something
- We only spend an hour there since parking was $3 an hour
- I got the parking and Mike got the overpriced drinks
- Drive back to his place
- Mike asks if the 5N hits the 10 and I tell him it does
- As we're driving up the 5, he corrects himself and says the 15
- I said we were going the wrong way, but take the 78 and it cuts over
- I told him he needed to be specific on his freeway choices and I wasn't lying the 5 does hit the 10, but would be an extra hour + to go that way
- Stop in Vista for Target bathroom pitstop and Famous Footwear
- Mike gets some shoes at Famous Footwear perfect for summer... some blue Converse
- Mike said no to me getting a pair of red Levis shoes that were comparable to the Vans Casuals except that they were an ugly red
- He said any other red would have been fine
- The shoes were only $15
- Mike said if we fooled around enough we could make it to the nice hotel in my city for appetizers
- We get to the hotel and sit at the bar- the stools are too high, but we move around and find a nice spot
- Order yummy ahi tuna pizza, onion rings, and a nice glass of white wine
- Mike reads a story about a possible Cali earthquake this week and I tell my extreme fear of earthquakes... he laughs... he eggs me on and I play it up... but seriously... earthquakes scare me to no end regardless of size
- back at Mike's we catch up on American Idol and give our commentary
- We go to bed about 12

SUNDAY
- woke up and played around
- shower
- Mike makes us breakfast of toast and eggs
- we watch a couple other DVR shows
- About 1:30 Mike suggests we head out to get lunch
- We go to a Chinese restaurant that was old looking and reminded him of the east coast Chinese restaurants
- He deemed the food as perfect for a lunch and dinner menu
- wonton soup, tea, eggroll, rice, and main course - just like Chinese restaurants should be
- Mike pays since I got dinner at the hotel last night
- Stop at Big Lots and Target
- In Target he gets "Edward Scissorhands"
- Back to his place we put the BluRay in and it has no English volume
- Mike does a firmware update and some investigating online to find he didn't have some option on the TV causing an error
- whodathunk the error with the disk?
- I get to experience Edward Scissorhands and Mike scans all of his documents in the computer for his taxes... he's so organized
- We also watch "Mars Attacks"
- Mike makes us dinner while "Mars Attacks" is on
- makes a tomato and mushroom sauce for ravioli and a glass of white wine.... yum
- We watch Real Housewives of OC
- He talks about the excessive product placement
- Also mentions how the OC housewives bought their cars at a USED car dealer... whodathunk?
- I tell Mike I'm amazed by his knowledge of the OC and that brought the show to life, but saddened and shattered my views of living large in the OC
- He laughed
- Watch What Happens Live on Bravo
- Bed about 12am

MONDAY
- Woke up about 6:40- managed to sleep through night
- 7am alarm goes off
- Mike checks his flight info
- shower
- Mike suggests McDonalds for breakfast, so we go to the one in the next city over instead of the one by his house
- I buy breakfast
- Mike warns me to not use elevators this week
- I tell him I had no plans and was planning on sleeping outside too so that the house won't cave in on me
- back at Mike's place he puts collars on his cats with nametags
- I joked at his earthquake preparation
- He said that was in case of any emergency while he is away - I said it was earthquake prep and he relented and acknowledged it was
- play with ihs cat while he packs
- Mike tells me bye and warns me to stay out of elevators... I told him to stop rubbing it in
- Get gas at 7-11... ugh... I hate 7-11 gas, but my light was on
- already not getting great mileage
- $3.94 a gallon is so not the biz
- home by 11
- Talk to mom and tell her about my adventures
- We go to Costco and Olive Garden
- I treat my mom to Olive Garden
- Talk about my masters thesis and my sister's tantrums over the weekend
- My mom made chicken and baked potatoes for dinner
- I'm headed off to school now...

2 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: What a nice weekend with the OM. I'm glad you passed on the red levis, I'm trying to picture you in them and it's not a pretty sight (or really for anyone to be wearing them). But would have been a good excuse to buying matching red shoes.

Since you visit so many eating/drinking places, ever consider writing reviews of them for Yelp?

Mike said...

I am a big yelp fan. I love to write reviews, and if I don't write a review there I write and save them for my personal portfolio.