Friday, February 1, 2008

Introducing mom to The Guy

Not in person, but in conversation. I've said before that my code name for The Guy is "Steve," a guy I knew in high school. After a lot of guilt on my end for still hiding and worrying that what if I'm forced to come out, then should I really say Steve? I posted a couple weeks ago and daninokc asked me if I ever mentioned The Guy by name to my parents and the answer was no. I feel guilty for not mentioning him and lying.

Yesterday I was on the way home from work carpooling with my mom. My phone starting ringing and it was The Guy. I wondered for a few minutes if I should answer or not. I finally decided to answer. I said "hey buddy, friend, amigo" or something to that effect; that alone is something I only do with The Guy. Anyways, we answered the typical relational questions for each other- "How was your day?" "what are you up to?" "what did you do today?" and things like that. He had a bad day at work and so bitched to me about it. He made a website for his dad's business and the company in charge of hosting the site published The Guy's cell phone number on the website and the contact number for the website. The Guy has got about 100 calls on his cell phone asking for the company he works for. HE WAS LIVID TO SAY THE LEAST. He also had a bitchy guy helping him at Best Buy and so he called Best Buy's corporate office to complain. He also spent $800.00 to get a sensor fixed in his car that was causing the check engine light to come on. I complained about my day and the rotten kids at work.

Anyways, we talk, then my mom asked who was on the phone. I hesitated for a moment and then I said The Guy's name. She asked who he was- how I knew him, if he goes to school, and what he does for a living. I answered all of the questions mostly truthfully. I know him from school, he does go to school and is studying English, and he works for his dad's company. She said that's nice and he sounds like a great guy. I began to get a little carried away and I'm saying he is and naming all of his qualities. I almost let that three letter word slip also... "mom, I'm ____." I was easily a few words from dropping the bomb thankfully caught myself. It was definitely a shock for me. My mom asked why he called and I said he needed some help with Spanish and I said I'd help him, so I'd have to drive over to his place. I gave my mom a vicinity in which he lives that is a little closer to The Guy's house.

We got allergy shots and I took my mom's car and went over to his place.

The Guy was playing with his new $300.00 remote when I got to his place that will control his Tivo, TV, Apple TV, DVD player, and all of his other electronics in his living room. We spent about 2 hours helping him update the firmware on his DVD player and other electronics. It was funny- he had his computer hooked up to the DVD player and he was talking to it in a sexual way as it was updating the firmware, he said things like, "oooooh do this for daddy. I want to see those blue bars (across the screen. OOOOooh just a little more. Give it to me bitch." It was entertaining.

Through all of this, The Guy asked me if I was hungry since he bought one of the best burgers ever. It was at least an inch thick!!!! It was bought at the farmer's market we got food at the other night. It had portabella mushroom, jalapeno peppers, and a few other things in it. It was delicious. The Guy kept telling me how good it was and he was not lying. He just put a little cheese on it and warmed it up in the microwave since he cooked it earlier. That thing was so flavorful (and didn't need ketchup). Things don't need ketchup in my opinion, but The Guy says they do. I hate ketchup.

We watched an episode of "Law and Order," then went into the office where The Guy told me he didn't want to go to work tomorrow so would stay at home (and work, I mean do nothing). He played around with parallels for Mac and a few other programs that allow you to access a PC from Mac. He downloaded one and played around. Then he said he wanted to try the new Office 2008 for Mac. He wants to buy the big business edition, but there are flaws in it and things like that. He asked me if I wanted to go to Best Buy and get a copy. I said we can if he wants. He wanted. We went down to Best Buy about 8:30 and walked around looking for someone to help us. Finally found someone after about 10 minutes to help us. We bought the copy and went back to his place. It has some NICE features like a bibliography creator that will site your sources in turabian, MLA, or Chicago style. That alone, in mine and his opinion make it worth it.

We watched another episode of "Law and Order," then I called it a night at 10p.m., though The Guy encouraged me to stay around. I was tired and had been up since 3:45a.m. I have woken up with headaches every morning this week and the headaches seem to last most of the day. I got my allergy shots yesterday, so that should help- I only had a slight headache this morning waking up.

My mom was still awake when I got home last night and asked me what I did with The Guy. I said we went out to dinner at Sizzler, then back to his place to review the stories we had to read for Spanish for homework. It wasn't necessarily truthful, but it felt better to at least mention his name. That was a lot for one day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be cool, take your time.

travis

B said...

A positive step indeed.

dan said...

baby steps... nice job. hey man , I'm just thinking you're less likely to slip if you just basically say who you're hanging out with. keep all the stories straight etc. ha.. good luck, sounds like some fun, you and your techie bf.. ha ah. later