Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mom is in panic mode and I kinda like it

We're doing something on the house front. We're remodeling our house and we hope to buy a new house. My mom's goal was to be out of this house or at least have 90% of the stuff packed up by August 15. August 15 is the day my dad goes back to work. Today SHE called and SHE made plans for a POD storage container to be delivered AND taken away on Saturday. This means all of the house, all 1,000 square foot of house and 500 feet of garage that has been collecting clutter since my parents moved in in 1974 has to be packed up by Saturday. I did a lot of the packing of the dining area last year, which triples as a dining, sewing, and craft room. There's still a lot that needs to be done.

Panic mode has sat in. HOORAY!!! My mom is actually, suddenly, willing to part with things. My mom, the packrat, is parting with things. She said we can get rid of the exercise bike, the organ, the desk in my room, the desk in my sister's room, and my bed. This is great news. Don't worry- I will be keeping the mattress for my bed, but my bed has been something my dad and I have wanted to get rid of for a long time. We have bought my bedroom set- it is just waiting for a new house for it to be delivered.

The living room looks like a disaster zone right now as she is unloading all of the bookcases, has stuff from the dining/craft room going into different boxes, and she says this will all be gone by Saturday. I CAN'T WAIT. BRING IT ON!!!! My dad and I called to have all of the couches and old TVs taken away by the Salvation Army.

Oh... what am I packing? Well, I had 4 boxes of books from my room that were stored in my closet from packing up last year when we thought this would happen then. My desk has to be disassembled and my sister's dresser can stay or go- I really don't care. The main bathroom is ok- nothing needs to be packed. The kitchen will be packed later since the laminate isn't scheduled to go in until mid-August; the kitchen would have been my area to tackle. I think I'm going to sit back and relax.

Carpet will go in around August 15. Home Depot charges $100 per item they have to move regardless of size. $100 scared my mom into doing all of this. Home Depot, how I love thee. The main bathroom will be re-wallpapered or painted by the 15th and new fixtures will go in. The bank says we have to wait on painting- they want the carpet in before we paint- stupid. Oh well... it is a condition on the loan; but it is progress, and though it may be backward, it is a long time coming, and frankly, I don't care.

How are you guys?

1 comment:

Aek said...

You're getting rid of an organ?! ::cries:: It better be really really old, in really bad condition, and woefully out of tune.

Other than that, it sounds like you're having fun packing and throwing stuff away. :)