Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What am I getting myself into?

What am I doing? I started yesterday on a 2 year program for a Masters degree in Teaching with a Teaching Credential. In the next few days I will be taking out a loan for about $20-30,000 to pay for school. I sort of fell into it. I do like working with kids. I do like being in the classroom. I do like the idea of having my own classroom. I do like the idea of teaching. I do like the idea of impacting a child. I guess I just feel like this just happened, like it was bound to. My parents are teachers, so why not me? I guess I'm just feeling regret that I'm not getting out and experiencing another career or something before going into teaching like both of my parents did. I'm not getting to pursue journalism or something like that like I wanted to. I don't know if it is regret or not. There's so many things I'd like to try like banking, writing, something advertising, marketing, or English/Spanish related, something in the corporate world. I don't know. Maybe I'll be happy doing this?

I've been looking and applying to jobs. Many sound interesting and I possess the skills, and wouldn't mind doing... a financial services representative at a local bank, which entails processing loans, making decisions on loans, fluency in Spanish, ability to use a calculator, calculate percentages, and averages. Found another job for an entry level account executive for a lighting company, an auto damage adjuster, a Spanish interpreter, all of which also sound interesting and fun.

7 comments:

Joe said...

Alright! Stop, take a deep breath. I would be surprised if you did NOT have fear or a second thought. You are contemplating your future. It is supposed to be scary and unnerving.

You and I have talked many times about teaching. It is my belief that you will most certainly make a great teacher. You are in this profession because you want to be there. It is not because your parents are teachers.

Maybe it is just your nerves taking hold for taking out a loan for your masters program. You don't like to be in debt, and this is some major debt. BREATHE!

You know if you want to talk about it I will be here.

Anonymous said...

I had one of those moments. Actually, I had several of them. They were quickly quelled by my current workload. I figured, if I didn't like it, then why was I in it? But you know what? I like it...

Aek said...

I know how you feel. There are moments at the beginning of a post-undergrad education/career that you're like, "Am I doing the right thing? Is this right for me? Should I have explored something else? What if I can't handle it?" I've asked that of myself a lot lately just before med school.

But you know, with a Master's degree, it does open up a lot of opportunities even if you don't teach (right away). It's good to have as a backup for when you decide you actually want to teach. You still have the flexibility to choose and pursue other career options for a while before coming back to teaching, if that's what ends up happening.

Don't feel like you're "locked in" with your Master's degree. You certainly have more freedom than me.

Anonymous said...

You want to go into tv news? You still can. Take a final
cut pro class. A writing class and go teach tv news at a school. Best of both worlds. Or get an internship at your
local station. Go for your dreams! You can still be practical! Good luck!

Mike said...

Closet: I really want to learn Final Cut. I've got some journalism classes under my belt.

Mike said...

Closet: I really want to learn Final Cut. I've got some journalism classes under my belt.

dan said...

you'll do fine, just be sure you know why you want a master's and what you'll do with it... ha. look whos' talking. :)
later.