Thursday, January 6, 2011

Birthday Celebration #1

Mike texted me yesterday asking if I was free for dinner last night for my birthday. My birthday came up very casually in conversation while he was home with his parents. He didn't know the exact date. I thought I was free last night, but texted him when I got home that we were getting my mom an iPhone, and going to surprise her with it that night, so why not tonight. He agreed. I texted him about 2 as I was leaving work. He texted me about 3:40 as I was walking in the door to my house. He said that we should meet at 5:30. Over the next several minutes we debated. I asked what he was tasting. He named the Spanish restaurant in my city and I melted. It is on the expensive side at roughly $40-50 a person. Regardless of price, and the fact I am pretty much out of money since I didn't earn much during student teaching, I wasn't saying no.

I get to the restaurant about 5:20 and park next to him. We head on inside. We go up to the bar to eat and for the better part of 2 hours talk a lot about family, school, work, food, and I tell him some random stuff about my city. We talk a lot about restaurants and all of the Top Chef chef's restaurants he has visited in Vegas. He is not a fan of chain restaurants. I order una sangrĂ­a roja que es muy deliciosa, una paella, y we talk a lot more. I wasn't wanting anything more as I was content, but he insisted that I try his favorite concoction, a drink that tastes like an orange creamsicle. He had one there the last time, as well as some restaurant in Vegas. It was so tasty with a kick of alcohol. It was equal parts of orange juice, cream, orange liquer, and vodka. Then we needed dessert. After deliberating between what I liked- the apple tart, the bread pudding, the cream brulee, we settled on the dessert sampler with 5 different desserts. We both pretty much finished that up. We pay, then head out. We say goodbye and hug. He wants to hang out tomorrow or Saturday if I'm free. I told him I'd text him in the morning if I'm not subbing. He will be gone all next week on a business trip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great evening.

Happy Birthday!

fan of casey said...

Mike: Was the meal filling? Sounds like your early birthday dinner was a good start for the celebrations to follow.

Aek said...

I never had paella before, it's definitely up there on things I want to try. :-P

Happy Birthday!!!

dan said...

belated.... hey kid, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. can't believe we've been blogging so long. wow.... later
dan