Sunday, January 2, 2011

Huskies vs. Huskers

I went to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego last Thursday night with Keith. The game was fun- college football, hanging out with Keith, and the stadium/experience.

I was invited by Keith because a friend of his was sick and couldn't go at the last minute. I had no clue who was going, but he told me it was going to be a fun time.

I met him at the time he suggested near his office. We were at his friend's house by the time she suggested. We get to his friend's house and this lady was just downright cold. She scolds Keith for calling her on her cell phone and not on the house phone. She hugged Keith, then didn't shake my hand and just kind of ignored the fact that I was there. She just turned around and walked back to her cooler in the kitchen where she was putting drinks for us.

Her friend was a chatty little Filipino lady. She introduced herself, said she was driving, and was more hospitable. We get in her car and she drives us. It starts out we are all having a conversation about the weather, then everyone breaks off into their own conversation. Keith and I talk about San Diego and other things. Keith brings up Hillcrest and where it is in relation to an area I had just mentioned called Normal Heights. I start to tell, then the cold lady interjects that there was nothing normal about Normal Heights. I laugh and agreed with her. Then the conversation seemed to go sour once she said where it was in relation to Hillcrest. She said except for her favorite area, and she didn't say where that was. We drive down to the stadium and this lady just seems to be ignoring me and at times giving me stares in the mirror.

At the stadium I thank the lady for having me come along. She says "your welcome" and we say a few words toward each other about the crowds. In the stadium her friend offers me a water, pretzels, and popcorn. Keith and I break off from them to go meet a really sweet friend/client of his, a charming girl, who is an attorney. She was so homely. Before the start of the game we go back and the woman seems put off that she has to make room for me to get to my seat. She was even distant toward Keith who did his whole lovey dovey thing he does, and gave her a hug. Her friend was even asking how we met, how I was such a gentleman, and this lady was off in her own world. I felt really uncomfortable as most people, even when you're not friends, but are introduced to people, try to be somewhat warm, introduce themselves, even what kind of job you do, but not this time. It just felt really cold. We had to wait for 45 minutes in the cold to get the trolley back to the car and this woman was having a conversation with her friend, then a few times she said things to Keith, but excluded me. It was so weird! This lady drove the entire way home. Keith fell asleep and I played on my phone. I thanked her again too for allowing me to come, for driving, and she just smiled and said it was nice to meet me, then retreated into her house once we got home, and Keith and I took off. I was really bothered by this at the end of the night... I guess that's why I wanted to share and get that off my chest. I don't feel like I did anything wrong. I know I wasn't the first choice to probably fill the seat, but I try to be hospitable, especially in situations like that. Was it because I was the youngest? Was it just this woman? LOL... I don't know... I am still somewhat bothered. Keith described her as "amazing" and "fragile." But what was up with this woman?





The game was a lot of fun in general- like the whole college band, the performance aspect, the passion that surrounds the college games, wearing 3 heavy layers and spending 4-5 hours in 39 degree weather. The final score was 19 Huskies and 7 Huskers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand Keith's description of her as fragile. People who are hypercritical, cold, judgemental, or just rude often have some kind of trauma (or perceived trauma) in their past. Kinda like the person that constantly makes jokes at other's expense, but cannot take a joke directed at them. Just an insecure person acting out.

Best thing you can do is not take it personally and keep your game face on, i.e. diplomacy.

Anonymous said...

She was a bitch. Hazing. you handled it wonderfully.
Yea for you, boo for her. WTF? How hard is it to be at least neutrally somewhat pleasant?