Saturday, January 15, 2011

Weekend thus far

I was supposed to meet some friends from high school for dinner last night, but I was in a pissy mood and decided against it. The 2 friends I really wanted to see were also not going. With that in mind I headed home from work...

As I'm driving home from work there was apparently a policeman on a motorcycle with a little radar gun in his hot little hand. He clocked me doing 57 in a 40mph zone. I probably was. I was going with the flow of the traffic, but breaking the law nonetheless. Everyone does in this area. And what irks me even more about this is that it is the highway I live off of. I drive up and down this road at least twice a day. Lately there have been cops with radar guns patrolling it heavily morning, afternoon, evening, and night. Going to work 4 days this week there were police with radar guns at various points on the street. Coming home there was officers out 3 days this week. And one of them happened to be yesterday. That officer was mean. He scared me for sure. Anyways, lesson learned. I am going to put the car in cruise control going up and down the street and set it to 45. I'll have a bunch of people riding my ass, but I don't want another one of those especially since I have to do traffic school now, and I can't get another ticket for another 18 months otherwise it goes on insurance.

I got a call while being pulled over from my mom telling me to meet her at our favorite Mexican restaurant since my sister wasn't home we could go out for Mexican. I get there, eat, chit chat with the parents, tell them about my ticket, and they were shocked I got the ticket. They didn't blame me. Yay.

So I text Mike shortly after dinner and he tells me how windy it was there. I was curious if it was since it was on my way home, but not at my house. He lives in such an odd area. I tell him I've already eaten, but he says I should come over and we could go see a movie.

It takes me an hour to get there- it was about 7. There was so much get away Friday traffic. I do surface streets most of the way to his house. I impressed myself since i hadn't driven that way in YEARS- maybe since I got my permit.

When I get to his place he has the traffic pulled up and says it is 95 minutes to the OC and 1 hour and 20 minutes to Pasadena. There was some small film that was only playing in those 2 places Mike wanted to see. We decide to just head to Victoria Gardens to see "Country Strong." We were both surprised that Gwyneth Paltrow didn't sing that much, but her opening acts sang quite a bit. Mike didn't realize that was Toby Mcguire in the movie. I didn't at first, but I saw it in the credits. We don't think that was his real voice.

After the movie it is about 10:30 and we go to Ralphs for him to get mini donuts, which we snack on later at his place while watching the behind the scenes for Oprah's 25th season. We get some potatoes, Doritos, cheese, and eggs. We hear Reba's version of "If I Were A Boy" on the way, which he chuckles about. He then sang along to Brad Paisley's song "Water" that came on after. Not a Paisley fan. Even if they painted Brad pink it would do nothing for me.



When we get back to his place we watch behind the scenes of Oprah's Season 25. He was holding me as we lay on the couch and falling asleep. He put on Tabatha's Salon Takeover and we were both asleep by 12:30 when it ended. Then he told me we were ready for bed and make our way to the bedroom.

We wake up about 8:30 when his alarm goes off and play around, then take turns showering. He whips up his Julia Child's omelet, apple cider, and jalapeno bread. It was good! We play with his cat and asks me what I had planned for the day. I wanted to go get pullover sweaters since I decided I really like them since I am into the preppy look right now, can wear those to work, and it is the end of season, so was hoping to find some good clearance. He seems to think about it and then says he'll go with me to Victoria Gardens. He asks if I want to drive, and I say yes. I'd never driven him... lol. He controls my radio- few get to do that. I trust his judgement. He played some Sugarland- their new song "Stuck Like Glue," Liza Minelli's version of "If I Were a Boy," and some Michael Jackson.

We walk all around VG and hit GAP, Williams Sonoma, Banana Republic, and Crate & Barrel. He tells me there is an Old Navy down the street, and I knew they had the sweaters, so we go down there. We go there and find nothing. We go to Ross and look at butter dishes. We go down to Target and do the same.

In the car on the way back he has ran into Michael Jackson again, and is quite the fan. We listen to "Want to Be Startin' Something," which he is getting pretty crazy while listening to. I have him stop at "Human Nature" for me. We also listen to "Smooth Criminal."

We go back to his place and watch more OWN. We watch an episode of those trying to get their own show on the OWN network. I love the whole premise, so I was eating that up. An LA TV reporter, Elizabeth Espinosa, is in the running, so I wanted to see how she did. I like the whole behind the scenes, the challenges, the production, etc. that is involved in that, so that was cool.

I figure since it is about 3:30, and though he said he wasn't up to much, that he would like some time to relax, so I head out.

Now I'm home and am going to spend some time tomorrow knocking out some journals for my masters classes. I should also do an annotated bibliography, and email my professor about his lack of directions on our masters thesis, which I guess is due in about 4 weeks. No joke. Ugh. He says take everything week by week, and he'll guide us through that. He has told us nothing. Ugh. End of rant.

3 comments:

fan of casey said...

Mike: CA gov't needs the revenues -- so it's easy to pick on drivers. How much $$$ was the ticket?

And it sucks that you have to go to traffic school.

Stephen Chapman said...

Thanks for your comments. I know I dont comment on your blog much, but I do read it. Loved the pic on the last posting by the way - my sort of road exit!

Anonymous said...

Go easy on your prof, the grade will be subjective.