Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The iPhone catches a lie

No, closeted, I just want you to know this isn't to make you sit, salivate, and want an iPhone even more. This is just a recounting of events today.

My nicotine obsessed grad student had office hours today, as she does every Tuesday from 2-6p.m. Half of our class is not on campus on Tuesdays- myself included. I have had to talk to her about each assignment since instructions she had given were so vague. I was busy today- had to sub, then go to the bank, and to Office Depot for a IEEE-1394 cord. My school is a good 15 miles out of my way.

On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Mike wrote:

Dear Nicotine Addict,

In assignment 2, you commented I cannot write. Could you please tell me what I could have done differently in assignment 2? I have attached a copy.

Also, what exactly is the difference between assignment 2 and 3? The instructions are the same for both, and I can't seem to differentiate the difference between the two.

Thanks,

Mike


She writes this back minutes later:

On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Nicotine Addict wrote:

Mike do you have time to come by my office. you do not know how to write. please stop by and I will explain once again.


I e-mailed her and explained I was not on campus, but at work, could she please let me know, or could I meet with her later in the week. I ask her if we could meet after 12p.m. tomorrow. She said 12p.m. would be better.

Since her office hours are from 2-6 I decide to dash over to the campus. When I get there at 3:45, this is on the door:





I wait around, stare out the window, then go over to the library. I walk around all 4 levels looking for her after waiting 20 minutes at her door.

I finally email her and say:

Feb 24, 2009, at 4:24 PM, Mike wrote:

Hi,

It would work out best for me if we could meet at 12:00 tomorrow, Wednesday. Let me know if this will work.

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone


I avoid saying anything negative, though I waited for 45 minutes and couldn't find her, and was on campus. In hindsight, I could have probably said that I was going to swing by the campus and could probably be there in _x_ minutes. I didn't think of that then.

On Feb 24, 2009, at 4:28PM Nicotine Addict wrote:

Sorry I cannot meet at 12. I am in a work shop. What other times are suitabled for you? I will be in only after 1:30 when the workshop ends.


Funny, she e-mailed me while I was standing outside of her door, yet she wasn't in her office, and she e-mailed me so quickly. I finally e-mailed her and said:

On Feb 24, 2009, at 4:30PM Mike wrote:

I am sitting outside your office- I can meet now.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone


A minute later she writes back:

On Feb 24, 2009, at 4:31 Nicotine Addict wrote:

I am sitting in my office. Come in!


I try to turn the knob on the door and it is locked. I knock. I knock harder. As I am fuming, walking away, she comes running up the stairs on the outside of the building with her Starbucks. And she told me I just need to elaborate in my writing and describe everything. Couldn't she have told me this in the e-mail? No. I felt so awkward being so blatant and telling her I was STANDING outside her door. I hate liars. I do love that I caught her in the lie, and I think she was embarrassed by it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her office must be starbucks. Nickname, the Library? That was a funny.

I want an I-phone!!!! AT&T sucks here though I'm told by people. So the search continues.

Anonymous said...

Hoping to get an i-phone soon here; not really thought about it for use in catching people like this though - - - one more reason to put it on the get it soon list!

dan said...

oh just relax. good for you though for going by. she prolly just wanted to tell ya in person, it's hard to read between the lines just typing. for example this comment, how serious am I about what without hearing my tone........
later budzy ...

Aek said...

LOL. That was an amusing recounting of things. :P