Monday, February 2, 2009

Yeah. I have those rotten professors.

I had a realization today when talking to a friend about our university experience I have only had 3 professors for upper division classes. The 11 other upper division classes I have taken have all been taught by graduate students. No joke. Is that not the saddest thing? No letters of recommendation for me that say DOCTOR John Smith etc. etc. haha. Anyways, I think I am going to try to get my Native American Lit professor to write me a letter of recommendation this quarter. Today in class I kicked ass. She was talking about some documentary which I had watched in my anthropology classes and I was able to tell her the significance of the documentary, the anthropological perspective, etc. I knew more about the documentary and the relevance to the area than she did, and she knew the movie makers. haha

Then I had my Nicotine Addict Grad Student. That's my new name for my professor for my 3 hour class on Mondays. This woman started class the first day by saying "who smokes?" 5 or 6 people's hands shot up. She asked when we wanted to take our smoke break. She said she would like a 30 minute smoke break about 3:30. Last week Nicotine Addict Grad Student started class by saying "have we all had a smoke and cleared our heads?" She admitted she hadn't, so she needed 10 minutes to go out and smoke 2 more cigarettes. She must have been really stressed last week because she gave us a 15 minute smoke break every 45 minutes. She manages to bring smoking into everything she talks about. Today smoker came out of her mouth 5-6 times. She said we need to know if a character smokes, we need to know if they chain smoke, we need to know if they smoke socially," and so on. In her culture if someone offered her a cigarette, she couldn't turn it down. It would be unlady like. I had to give a presentation on the film "Frequency" and while I was giving the presentation, she pointed out that Dennis Quaid was definitely a good smoker. How can someone take this woman seriously?

"Frequency" is one of my favorite movies by the way...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frequency was dang good. I remember renting it with no expectations and that made it even better.

Speaking of movies, I went to a bunch in the last 3 weeks (bored). I liked Last Chance Harvey, wtf, I could barely go into that movie and ended up thinking it was terrific?

Well, I hope your stress levels are down your not smoking every free moment like that fish.

Creative Thinker said...

LOVE Frequency!!!

Mike said...

Closet: Thanks! Things are looking up. And no, I don't smoke. It was just a one time deal. Hehe.

Aek said...

Woah, what's up with that woman? So weird. o.O