Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday night drive

I was on facebook tonight chatting with best friend down in Mississippi and Jenni from high school (the one I was worried about coming out to). Patty randomly messaged me. Patty is a girl I have known since I was 3-4. She went to the same church as me when I was young- the one I grew up in. We have seen each other maybe 3-4 times since I stopped going to the church in 8th or 9th grade. We had a lot of the same friends, although she went to a different high school, so we found each other on facebook and of course added each other. Then there were the few "Hi," and "how are you?" messages tossed back and forth.

So imagine how surprised I was tonight when I got a message on the chat on facebook tonight asking how my visit to the Apple store went yesterday (my status on facebook was that I was at the Apple Store.) I said great. How are you? What are you doing these days? What are you going to do after you graduate? Then she asked what my favorite drink was. I was unsure, but said Dr. Pepper. That was such an odd question. She said "MINE TOO" enthusiastically and asked what I was doing in 15 minutes. I said nothing. She said good. She asked if I wanted to be picked up or we wanted to meet. I live out in the boonies so I said I'd meet her somewhere. We decide on Panera, where she works. We meet at 8:15p.m.

We do the "oh, hi, how are you, I haven't seen you in so long" and hug. Then we go in, she says she needs 2 drinks, and she has the hookup because she works there. Free Dr. Pepper. She filled her drink first because she doesn't require ice, so it takes her less time to fill her drink. She gets me a straw and lid in the meantime. She said she hoped I didn't have any preconceived notions about where we're going. I said no. She said good, because she was driving. We head out into downtown. She is a huge history fan and drove to the oldest cemetery in the city, she shows me the courthouse, and other stuff I knew about, but we talked about. We both knew alot, so that was cool. Then we get on the freeway and drive as far as the badlands on the 60 freeway. Then she gets off and flips around, then we weave through the cities in the area just taking. We talked about what we're doing, work, school, family, and stuff like that. We talked about our old church, which is apparently in foreclosure (SHHH.. that's top secret- her cousin is the bookkeeper for the church). We keep getting letters about how they are having difficulty and encouraging members to donate $1 a day, $5 a day, or $50 depending on income because even in hard times, it is important to sacrifice and God will provide.

We end our drive about 9:45 and then sit in the car chatting for about 15 minutes. I make a comment about her listening to GoCountry 105. She is like me and doesn't like CDs, and gets tired of iPods playing the same stuff constantly. She turned up the radio and they were playing Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" (MOST OVERPLAYED COUNTRY SONG EVER- IN MY OPINION) and she turned it up and we both sang it. We both agreed we'd hang out soon and maybe this weekend when she is hanging out with her group of friends (one of which I know).

I love random drives like that!



Edit: 11:44p.m. update... Caffeine is seriously a drug. I've mentioned before that about a year ago I stopped drinking soda except when I'm eating out. I feel like tonight I'm on overdrive and jittery. No caffeine before bed! Bad! Evil!

1 comment:

Aek said...

Sounds like you had a great time with Patty! :D I love just randomly hanging out like that.

Btw, caffeine technically is a drug.