Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yes on 8 donors website

Just heard this on the news and looked for the story online. It is a website exposing the vicinity of where prop 8 donors live. In addition, it gives their occupations and the amount they donated to the cause. I like the breakdown, but I'm just wondering what you guys think. Is it an invasion of privacy? What do you guys think about this?

In my area the 2 conservative school board members each donated $500. In my immediate area, there are probably 12 people who donated, none of which are people I know. I like that it shows who donated and the area much more easily than most sites. But maybe zip code would be less invasive? I just hope that this doesn't cause some who voted no on 8 to retaliate against those who voted yes.

Here's the maps

5 comments:

Aek said...

Wow, that's kinda freaky-cool. But yeah, I guess the "Voted no on 8" people might retaliate against the "Voted yes on 8" people. Probably not, I think.

Bruce said...

It depends on what you mean by retaliate. If you mean not frequent or boycott businesses that are owned by these bigots or run by them then I hope everyone retaliates. If you mean physical harm to them, then of course I don't condone that. The gay community should not give money to the bigots who are against us via the businesses they own/run. That's the same as donating the money ourselves. My name, address and place of employment is on the donation list for those that gave to the No On 8 campaign and I'm not ashamed of that. If the bigots don't want to be named then they should not donate.

Mike said...

I meant physical harm, yes.
The business thing was interesting- a family owned ice cream shop in my area, a Chinese food place, and a sign maker, and a few other interesting finds.

Mike said...

I meant physical harm, yes.
The business thing was interesting- a family owned ice cream shop in my area, a Chinese food place, and a sign maker, and a few other interesting finds.

Stephen Chapman said...

I think that people should be allowed to donate without it being listed on a site somewhere - or at least able to opt out.