Friday, February 13, 2009

Progressive night/dinner

Carl is a kid in my Spanish class. I have mentioned him before- never in any great detail on this blog, but he has come up I I'm pretty sure. WHen I hang out with him we usually watch movies or go to bingo. He just got his bartending license and I hadn't hung out with him in a while, so since I was having a hard night emotionally I wanted out. I knew he was free since I talked to him in class. He was talking about how he loves to go out for drinks on Friday the 13th in class today.

So I was sitting at home and something just happened with my Aunt in Nor Cal that upset everyone. Rather than hear my mom talk about how upset she was and wrong this is, and get upset about the issue I figured I'd just call a friend. I figured it would be fun to go to a bar since Carl just got his bartending license, he could tell me what was in the drinks, but also he likes going out for drinks on this day. I called him up and was at his place 30 minutes later. I said we should go to TGI Fridays because it was Happy Hour so drinks and appetizers were 1/2 off. He ordered a mojito and I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea. Then I had him tell me how to make both of the drinks when they arrived, which was fun. He was able to rattle it off with no problem. The Long Island Iced Tea was ok. Since appetizers were 1/2 off I suggested we order the Artichoke and Spinach Dip. We used drinks to catch up on each other's lives- his job hunt and me being busy with school.

It was still only 5:30 and Carl said if we got in the car and rushed back near his house there was a sushi place that was having happy hour until 6. More drinks? No. 1/2 off sushi. I'm not a big sushi fan- I've had California rolls once or twice and was never a fan. We went in and he knows already I'm not a sushi lover. So he asks me what I like. He asked if I liked cream cheese, so ordered me a roll with that, then a California roll. It was OK... not great... I stomached it... I knew I could. Actually the cream cheese roll was pretty good. We each had 2 rolls for about $5.50 per person. He showed me all the cool features on his Sprint phone like live TV and while that is nice, and I was a slight bit jealous, I remembered my iPhone trumps that. Mine has a bigger screen. And one day it'll will probably be able to show live TV. Maybe?

We were out of there by 6:30 and still hungry. What to do... what to do... We decide to go to Chick-Fil-A for fries for and cokes. Total = $5.00

We decided to walk through Target to pass time and bought a bag of popcorn for $1.09. We still had our Chick-Fil-A drinks. We walked around there and got bored quickly. I suggested we see a movie since the theater was right there. He didn't care what we saw, so I said we were seeing "Confessions of a Shopaholic"- the biggest chick flick out right now. I said he made me do some things I wasn't fond of tonight like trying the sushi, so he was doing something I wanted. Carl is gay and I am too, so no big deal. It was an OK movie.. it had cute moments, but the plot seemed to be lacking. Carl admitted he liked the movie.

LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT HERE- I HAVE NO ATTRACTION TO CARL- WE ARE SO UNALIKE MUSICWISE, THOUGHTS, IDEAS ON LIFE. WE DO BOTH LIKE TO EAT AND ARE TAKING THE SAME SPANISH CLASSES. ONLY COMMONALITIES. HE'S NOT MY TYPE AT ALL, BUT A NICE GUY.

After the movie we were still hungry, so we hit up Del Taco for chicken tacos. He had 3 and I had 1 for $4.59. We ate them in the car and listened to Depeche Mode as we went back to his house.

It was about 9:30 by the time we were done and I figured things were all calm on the home front.

So in summation:
TGI Fridays, RA Sushi, Chick-Fil-A, Target popcorn, movies, and Del Taco = lots of fun

Long Island Iced Tea and Mojito, plus artichoke dip = $13.55 + Tip = $15.00
My sushi and his sushi = $11.00 + Tip = $12.00
Chick-Fil-A = $5.00
Target popcorn = $1.09
2 movie tickets = $20.00
Del Taco= $4.59
= $57.68
= I paid for drinks and the movie tickets = $35.00

Fun times, though. Worth the money.
I'd love to do this with another friend or group of friends where we have a little progressive dinner. I have always wanted to do one of these with friends, and had no clue tonight would work out that way. Lots of time in the car, listening to good music, talking, and trying new things. This would be totally fun to do with a boyfriend or something like that. Or even just a night where you grab dinner, then sit in the car and talk with the guy you like... I can dream.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blew off confessions of a shopaholic thursday night. I did see He's not into you and while some are hating it, I thought it was funny. I liked Last chance Harvey (so sue me). I liked Frost/Nixon and the Wrestler.

I'm a free agent from my 2 year cell contract end of March. I've done this on purpose thinking I'd get an I-phone. But now I'm starting to reconsider. I'm with Verizon currently and maybe a Dare or something would be ok????

I don't know, it's all too much. At&T kind of sucks around here is the issue, I know they're good everywhere else, but here they are kind of weak.

I keep telling myself, it's only a phone, but it seems like such a serious commitment (2 years, that's like a breeder marriage).

Sorry about the rant and highjack, but you mentioned the iphone and TV. By the way, I don't need TV on my phone (I don't think, do I?).

This cell phone search isn't going very good.

Anonymous said...

PS-I'm glad you had fun. I made my response all about me. IT's the middle of the night and I'm bored. sorry.

Aek said...

Sounds like a fun day. ^_^

That did turn out to be quite a bit of money, but the artichoke and spinach dip is always worth it. :P

A progressive dinner sounds like a ton of fun, maybe I should try it sometime.

Mike said...

Closet:
I was about to choose He's Just Not That Into You, but decided against it because I wanted something really chicky. It was one of those nights where I wanted to see someone else's misfortune and feel better.

AT&T sucks out here... I'm not sure about Verizon phones. I haven't really kept up on them. I'm liking the Samsung Instinct (if I didn't have an iPhone, that's what I'd want.)

Mike said...

AEK: Progressive dinner= totally worth it!